iPod does something odd

Discussion in 'iPod' started by iBeard, Jun 21, 2006.

1. iBeard macrumors regular

So on my iPod there are certain songs that are there under "Songs" but not "Artists"...

For example I go to Artists > AC/DC and the only thing that shows up is Back in Black. I have 6 or 7 other songs that aren't on Back in Black and I can go find them individually in "Songs" and the artist listed on the song is AC/DC but I can't find them under AC/DC.

Did that make any sense?

2. calculus Guest

calculus

I think this happens when you do not have an album name.

3. iBeard thread starter macrumors regular

Really? Most my songs don't have an album name... Only my full albums do.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

They should still show up under Untitled Album or something. None of my songs have albums because I strip all excess data so they sort alphabetically in iTunes.

However, are you sure these ACDC songs all have exactly the same artist info? Select them all together, select Get Info from the File menu and make sure ACDC is written in the Artist field. If there's even a slight difference in the spelling, it'll show as a different artist on the iPod. :)

5. chairguru22 macrumors 6502a

i really think this is a bug with the ipods.. if you all look through all of your artists youll probably find this issue somewhere, ive seen it twice on mine and who knows how many more because i have so many songs..

6. chairguru22 macrumors 6502a

i think i found the problem with this.

it occurs when you have several songs from an artist and only one album name. For example, i have about 20 Billy Joel songs but only 1 has an album name. So when in iPod and i go to Artist>album... it skips the album list and goes directly to the songs in that album. Since only one song has an album name, only that song comes up while the other 19 don't.

solution is to give the other songs a dummy album name (N/A or space) or remove all of the album names.

how do i contact apple about this b/c this is def a bug

7. AppleAce macrumors regular

This is definitely a bug with my 5G iPod as well, which I just ordered last week as a replacement for my 4G (dead HD).

As has been mentioned previously, this only happens when you have multiple songs tagged to one artist, with at least one of the songs tagged to one album, and the remaining songs with their album field blank.

When this happens, after selecting the artist, the iPod will skip the album selection screen, and display only the track(s) of the lone tagged album for that artist. I have been able to replicate this bug with only 2 songs under an artist (one tagged with an album, one not), also with multiple songs tagged under one album and one not tagged, also one song tagged with several untagged. It only happens when there is only one album for an artist.
    I have also noticed something else in the behavior of the iPod that is very similar to this bug. If all the songs under one artist are tagged with the same album, it will skip the album selection screen, going immediately to the track list for the album. I don't know if this is an intended feature or not.

Also, if you hold down the center button while on the artist screen, selecting an artist that exhibits the album skipping bug, in order to add all of the songs from that artist to the On-the-Go playlist, all of the songs from that artist are correctly added, not just the ones from the album that gets skipped to.

There is also another bug. When navigating through the artist selection interface, after selecting an artist, and then selecting an album (or All), and then hitting Menu twice (or once if you picked an artist with the album skipping bug), the Artist's name will be incorrectly displayed at the top of the Artist selection screen instead of "Artists." Furthermore, when selecting another artist, the same Artist's name will be incorrectly displayed at the top of the new artist's album selection screen.

The album skipping bug can be temporarily "fixed" by tagging an otherwise untagged song with a space in the album field, or with the correct album, as having at least 2 albums under an artist resolves this issue, as I mentioned earlier.

I haven't yet found an Apple discussions thread on this problem, though I haven't been searching extremely hard.

I also hadn't yet applied the most recent iPod firmware updater, until about an hour ago, and this does not fix the problem.

Could someone please report this issue to Apple? Or point me in the direction of where I could? It seems like it would be an easy enough thing to fix, and something should really be done about it, as it is quite irritating.

8. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

9. AppleAce macrumors regular

Thanks.

I'm perfectly happy keeping my files organized with album tags. What I'm not happy about is that the 5G iPod has bugs in the user interface, whereas my 4G did not.