iPod doesn't turn off

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Telp, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Telp macrumors 68040

Feb 6, 2007
    Occasionly when i go to turn my ipod off, it doesn't. I will hold down the button to turn it off, and then a couple seconds later it wont turn off. I try restarting the iPod but it doesn't work. This is just occasionaly, but it is pretty annoying when it happens. If anyone can tell me why this is happening or how i can prevent it, that would be great, thanks.
  2. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

Jan 16, 2007
    I have that same problem, normally there it occurs when I'm changing songs manually or whatnot. The reset trick works for me, so I don't know what the deal is with yours. Have you made sure you have the latest firmwire update?
  3. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Feb 6, 2007
    Up to date and everything.
  4. lamina macrumors 68000

Mar 9, 2006
    From Canada, living in Seoul
    Try rebooting the iPod. Hold down the menu and center keys until you see the :apple: screen. That will likely fix it.

Let us know if it works.
  5. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Feb 6, 2007
    Nope, that didn't work. :(
  6. bill4588 macrumors 6502a

Feb 2, 2006
    Kennesaw, GA
    I have this problem too. Someone here told me that it's just something I have to live with, since some iPods have "sweet spots", and that I have to find those on my particular ipod and always turn it off by pressing that spot/spots. I don't know if this was a load of ***** or not :rolleyes:
  7. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Feb 6, 2007
    I'm not sure but that would be very interesting...:rolleyes:
  8. MacAnkka macrumors regular

Jun 30, 2006
    Same problem here. My solution was to not turn it off ;)

It automatically shuts down in a couple of minutes if it isn't playing music, so I though, why bother?
  9. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Feb 6, 2007
    True...i spose, i just feel better shutting it down.
  10. p0intblank macrumors 68030

Sep 20, 2005
    New Jersey
    I think all 5G iPods have this problem... I usually just reset it or leave it be until it shuts itself down.
  11. Troste macrumors newbie

Mar 19, 2007
    restore it

I also had this problem with my 5.5 G ipod. It just happend occasionally, but then I restored the player with itunes to the start and I haven't had this problem again.
  12. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Feb 6, 2007
    I have a 1st gen. nano, and a 2nd gen nano. I guess that could count as 5th gen...depending on how you look at it. If it really starts to bother me ill restore it, but i was just hoping there was a simpler reason...Thanks though.
  13. nicebmwguy macrumors newbie

Mar 31, 2007
    turning off ipod nano

Try going back to a menu before trying to turn off the ipod nano. Mine won't turn off if you're on a song but when I press menu to return to the track list the play/pause button will turn it off. Hope that helps ;)
  14. mohim12 macrumors newbie

Apr 6, 2007

i have a white nano and when i take the ipod out of hold...the ipod turns off! and when i turn it back on the turn wheel wont work! can some one help me??:(
  15. jesteraver macrumors 6502

May 16, 2006
    Montreal, QC
    I've had problems like that.

Best thing is play some music for a couple mins, then play with the blacklight (on and off) and than click sleep. Which it should turn off.
  16. Telp thread starter macrumors 68040

Feb 6, 2007
  17. TyPod macrumors 68000

Nov 2, 2006
    And Yourself?
    I have this problem also. The only way I found to fix it is to plug your iPod into your mac for a couple seconds, then unplug the iPod and try to shut it off.

Hope this helps for others around here.
  18. funnel macrumors newbie

Oct 14, 2007
    Had the same problem. Fixed it by Settings/Reset All Settings.
  19. Tumeg101 macrumors 6502a

Jun 30, 2007
    Orange County, California
    this happens allot to me... either hit play or pause to the current thing you are listening to, and then try. If that doesn't work, go back to the main menu and try
  20. shieber macrumors newbie

Jan 8, 2008
    Ipod Won't turn off & stay off

There are at least two diff probs here. 1) Ipod is hung and won't respond to turn off signal (pressing bottom of wheel) at all--stays lit no matter how long you press. This happens sometimes when, for example, your ipod is connected to a docking device and you turn it off while pressing bottom of wheel wheel - then you immediately unplug it the ipod, which lights it up again -- sometimes it will won't then respnod to a a shut off signal by pressing bottom of wheel. This prob has been recurring on opds for years and can be fixed with a reset. It's common in Nanos and especially in Video ipods.

2) Ipod turns off for half a second and comes right back on --when you press the bottom of the wheel, the ipod turns off for about a half second or so and lights right back up again. This prob has an unknown cause and is not fixed by a reset. If you restore, the prob will be fixed UNTIL you reload you music files onto the Ipod - then the prob automatically returns. Some suspect this prob has to do with a file problem and ipod's inability to appropriately deal with the file problem. This problem might only occur commonly in Ipod Classics.
  21. seniorstinky macrumors regular

Feb 22, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I think you have to toggle the hold button first and then hold down the two keys, yes?
  22. shieber macrumors newbie

Jan 8, 2008
    Reboot fixes often but not everything

Certainly try the Reset (aka, reboot) since that works for the one kind of "won't shut off" problem. (It's a lot liek using Windows 98 -- every know and then you have to reboot the system to be able to continue using it).

However, note that a reset is totally ineffective on the other kind of "won't shut off" problem. Even a restore (rewritng all the software and deleting all the data) won't fix the problem once you load your files. For that "won't shut off" problem, we are waiting for Apple to concede the problem and come up with a fix or workaround.

23. gbalt macrumors newbie

Jul 7, 2006
    I've been having the same trouble...

I have the same problem with my iPod 60gb video.

The solution for me with 100% success is heading to /Settings/Reset All Settings.

It always shuts down for a week or two after that, then seems to start getting ornery again.
  24. shieber macrumors newbie

Jan 8, 2008
    Pardon my saying so but ht doesn't sound like a workaround; it sounds lilke resignation.

The one version of the prob is easily fixed with a reset (an ipod reboot). The other prob is a hardware problem that con only be fixed by replacing the hardware. It apparently is a problem in the wheel buttons/touch-pad -- the capacitor is suspected by some techs.

If you have to have you ipod shut down for a few days or weeks, then you've definitely go a hardware prob.

25. wisdoms macrumors newbie

May 7, 2008
    no reaction!

Hi guys,

I've been reading and trying your possible solutions, but none of them seems to work. Today my iPod Nano doesn't want to sleep! (iPod isomnia? :D)
    No reboot, no reset, no stop fuction turns it off!!! :(
    Any other ideas? Hammer?
    The version is 1.1.