iPod Doppelganger!!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Rajj, Jun 18, 2002.

1. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

Attached Files:

2. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Looks virtually the same in design, and costs almost exaclty the same. $399 for the 5GB iPod, and $405 for the 5GB Gigabeat.

PC companies don't copy apple, do they? Of course not, that's preposterous.

3. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

ah, it doesn't look as good, I like the idea of the removeable Hard Disk, but it is USB 2 which means there is a problem, most machines don't have USB2, I would still pick the iPod.

Rock on iPod!

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Na, not for me, as far as mobile MP3 jukeboxes go the iPod with it's 5-10Gb storage, firewire, style and superb navigation still wins hands down...

...but then I am bias, I have a 10Gb iPod :p

5. Rajj thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rajj

iPizzle my nizzle fo shizzle!!!

Translation: I concur!!:D

6. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Actually, this is not that much of a rip off of the iPod. In fact, it has a rather cool feature in that you cn remove the drive. That makes future expansion really easy right. Anyway, bring it. It is the way it integrates with iTunes and with the OS, and that it is a portable hard drive, and the scroll wheel, and ....

You get the point.

7. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I'd be concerned about the little hatch/flap that covers the hard drive would break off at some point. Also, there are more buttons and such on that thing then on the iPod. At this point, it's rather expensive to get the 5GB (and larger) 1.8" drives (even the pc card type that thing uses) to make it worth getting additional ones. A better idea would be to back up what you have to your computer and just move new tunes to it (like you can easily do with iTunes and the iPod).

8. billiam0878 macrumors 6502

Good Thing?

Though I really like the iPod, I imagine the Toshiba comes with at least a one year warranty, and where the iPod only offers 90 days maybe Apple will step up their warranty to match the competition.

Bill

9. McFreggle macrumors 6502

McFreggle

Hey this one really looks nice, I think.

Now, I'm keeping my iPod, but I really really think it's a nice device.

k.

10. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

That is nice. But it's too plastic-y! I like the metal on the iPod. :) Apple, once again, has forced the PC industry to meet their standards. Go Apple! Now if they could only retake the lead in PCs with the PowerMac...

11. JimmyMac macrumors newbie

They'll Get All The Credit

I'm a little bitter about this new thing. Sorry if this post gets me in trouble, but man, this is what I think. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I knew it was only a matter of time before someone followed Apple's inovation. That in itself is praise to Apple. But it still stings.

Toshiba's going to rock the world with this thing. It's going to be on the pages of every newspaper's "tech" section with headlines that bost of inovation in that they've put a HD in an MP3 player.

I'm serious here! 99 out of 100 ordinary Joes have never even heard of the iPod. You'll tell 'em Apple's had one of those for a year, and they'll look at you all crazy and say "yeah, right. Apple."

I've got a bad feeling about that fact Apple didn't make a Window$ version of the iPod. The "other 95%" is going to buy this thing instead of the iPod now. I'll bet most Mac users who were smitten with the iPod already have one. Sales are going to be hurt big time.

Remember when U.S. Robotix came out with their "amazing palm top device?" Correct me if I'm wrong, but in most circles, Palm gets all the credit for inventing the palm-top. Newton technology still to this day blows that stuff away. iPod's going to go the way of the Newton--as far as respect goes.

12. King Cobra macrumors 603

Wow. I have shown the iPod to 100 guys named Joe, and 99 want one! :D

Actually, maybe 40 people tops have seen the iPod my father gave me. And almost everyone has admired it in some way or another.

You know, I am getting sick of all of the peecee world basically ripping off Apple's own creative innovative designes, f!!ing around with it, and calling it a peecee (or a peecee product). And I think that a lot of these ridiculous products seem to be following one f!!ked up tradition of taking an Apple product, gluing some fancy, shiny metal to it, and calling it **** (which the "techies" in the peecee world call it a PC).

Has there been any manipulation or "lookalike" of the iMac G4? Just curious to see which ash decided to rip off Apple's product, put some shiny metal on it, and call it cr*p.

13. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

The Gigabeat is so full of sh*t. Apple should take Toshiba to court.

14. me hate windows macrumors 6502

me hate windows

1 problem: TOSHIBA IS THE ONLY MAKER OF THE HARD DRIVES THAT GO IN THE IPOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If Apple took Toshiba to court, I bet Toshiba would stop supplying Apple, and they would have to stop making the iPod until they get a different hard drive company to make a hard drive that tiny!

15. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I wonder if IBM would be able to make the 1.8" hard drives... They might be working on their own versions even now, and plan to offer them in sizes larger then what Toshiba does. Maybe starting at 10GB and going up to 40GB initially??? Or 20GB to 40GB... Who knows, but it will be interesting to watch what happens.

Since we are talking iPod here... check out this other thread... :D

16. awulf macrumors 6502

Did you know that one company made all-in-one computers like the classic iMac only with a floppy drive and they were called ePowers but apple sued them due to thier exact similarities. Later on the ePower was in a square shape because they lost.