ipod drive

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by me hate windows, Apr 13, 2003.

1. me hate windows macrumors 6502

me hate windows

My iPod's hard drive is broken. Only about 1.7 gigs can be read and the other part doesn't work.:( It fell out of the car when I was getting out. My iPod is out of warrantie and I would rather get a new 10 or 20 gig drive than pay apple to fix it. I know that the 10 gig drive is just as thick as the 5 and the 20 is thicker. Could I put a new drive in myself? Could I fit a 20 in or would it be too thick? and where can I buy one of those drives?:confused:

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

too much of a hassle to just replace the hard drive, trust me it's been done befure. it might even be cheaper to get a 20gb iPod than to replace the hard drive in the 10gb iPod.

3. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

Re: ipod drive

Apple would probably give you a ten gigabyte iPod if you can figure out a way to make the damage not your fault. (Ala: the iPod's gigabytes have mysteriously disappeared.);)

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Re: Re: ipod drive

since its out of warranty dont count on it,lol.

iJon

5. me hate windows thread starter macrumors 6502

me hate windows

i can open it, so all i have to do is buy a new drive. I opened it to fiddle around and see if I could magically get it to work(I thought the connection had come partially undon), but it is still 1.7 gigs. If somebody could tell me of a place to buy one of those drives, I will.

6. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

Re: Re: Re: ipod drive

Oops.:D:eek:

7. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

The drive is about the same if not more expensive than the ipod itself i think.