iPod durability

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Paolo, Aug 11, 2002.

1. Paolo macrumors regular

Hey can someone help me... I'm thinkin of getting an iPod (5g) and I'm just wondering, if I drop it, how tough is it... will it just die on me or are they fairly tough little things.

Thanks

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

Personally, I have dropped it from a 3 foot high desk, and all I got were scratches.

I have seen other "stories" about iPods slipping out of people's pockets and hitting the ground, when all that happened were a few scratches.

I would say be extra careful with your iPod when the Hard Drive is spinning (in other words: DO NOT DROP!!). You can hear the Hard Drive spinning in a quiet room. Usually, it spins when a fresh load of songs is carried to the RAM. You can feel the Hard Drive shuting down about 5 to 7 seconds into the song.

If you want to get a case or something to keep the iPod from those prominent scratches, go to www.everythingipod.com and get one of those thick coverings. I haven't tried out anything from their site, but the site and it's products look impressive.

Enjoy the iPod! :cool:

3. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

Dude, This iPod has been thru hell!!!

Let's see, I have dropped this iPod about..... 20 times!!!
    Look at all the scrathes!!!

Oh, I forgot one key thing... it didn't skip at all when it was dropped!!!;)

I had to shrink the photo to get it to fit.

4. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

5. Paolo thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Guys

So really it isn't that bad... I just heard some stories about people dropping there ipods and it like snapping in half and things like that? but from the sounds of it, there not that flimsy... I"m thinking of getting a few of the things from everything ipod!
    Thanks guys/gals

6. King Cobra macrumors 603

>I just heard some stories about people dropping there ipods and it like snapping in half and things like that? but from the sounds of it, there not that flimsy

WHO SAID THAT!? F!!K them. You can't snap an iPod in half. They have to be making that up, unless they went and purposely dropped it, hit it, whatever...ƒ!!!!!g retards...

xrhajj, that is one ƒ*cked up iPod, worse than mine! :eek: :D

Enjoy the iPod purchase! And pardon my language, guy/gal. :p :cool:

7. iwantanewmac macrumors 6502

Can you zoom in on that please? :)

8. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

I tried to put the original photo, but it was too big, Macrumors wouldn't let me upload it!! Ill make it a little bigger.

At any rate, I advise you to get a replacement plan on it!!

I purchased mine from Compusa and I got the replacement plan which was only $30!! That's why I don't care if it (or will)breaks,cause I'll get a new one!;)

Attached Files:

9. King Cobra macrumors 603

You know, you can edit the photo in Photoshop and save just the iPod. Then export as a smaller file-sized JPEG.

Or, you could go into Appleworks and do the same, but it would take longer. You would have to insert the photo into a painting doc, copy just the iPod to a drawings doc and export it as a JPEG the same way.

If you don't have either, then I pity you. :eek: :rolleyes: :p

10. BongHits macrumors regular

my ipod has survivde throws, falls, being stepped on, and i've even attempted to pull it in half unsuccesfully (how are the two pieces joined by the way) all my friends say it's the sturdiest piece of tech they've ever seen in such a tiny package (my roomates gf broke her elph by dropping it and they're practically the same size...but elph is 10x more complex technically i guess) to sum it all up they're tough as a brick.

11. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

Yeah I know, I have photoshop 6, but I don't feel like waiting for classic to boot up ;) I use OSX all the time:p

12. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

Ok Ok I wont be lazy ;) Here is a Super close up:D

Besides, I was trying to show off some of my Apple stuff(Hence the Airport box):D

Attached Files:

13. ponyboy macrumors regular

If you want to pull it apart just get a butterknife in where the plastic and metal meets it will snap off and on again.

My ipod has been dropped kicked dropkicked you name it never skipped, never. And it still works like a charm even after taking it apart and putting it back together, just to see what was in there.

14. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

after working about 12 hours straight on a web project i got into my friend's car and slammed the door on my ipod

it didn't work after that at all (got really really hot when it tried to turn on and made bad noises)

i took it apart and fiddled around for a bit and then finally just banged the dent out and requested a replacement from apple... i was worried they wouldn't accept it or fix it but apple sent a box out the next day and sent a new 5 gig ipod out the very next day after that

i counted myself as lucky.

moral of the story: don't put ipods in large coats in the winter and close doors on them, other than that ipods are very strong :)