ipod earphone replacemebts

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by windowsblowsass, Aug 23, 2004.

1. windowsblowsass macrumors 6502a

can anyone reccomend a pair of reltively cheap headphones ( <40) any response would be much appreciated

2. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

Well obviously, there's Apple's earbuds and the Apple in-ear headphones.
    Generally, I try to avoid spending too much money on headphones because I have a tendency to break them.
    I have heard good things about the Apple in-ear headphones, though.

3. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

4. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Thats funny, I've heard bad reviews of the in-ear headphones, many people at www.ipodlounge.com and other iPod sites don't like them because people say that the sound is even worse than the stock iPod headphones.

But I haven't tryed them first hand.

Sony EX71:
    http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...&CategoryName=acc_Headphones_Fontopia./Earbud

Cheaper, but still good, Sony EX51:
    http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...&CategoryName=acc_Headphones_Fontopia./Earbud

5. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

I haven't tried them myself, either (I'm going off what a friend said).
    Slightly off-topic, but while iPodlounge is a great iPod site, they find a way to complain about everything iPod-related. It feels like "the backlight color changed slightly so now we'll never ever be able to see our iPod's screen ever again!"

6. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

From what I've read these people who complain about the quality of in-ear phones usually have not fitted them correctly. I haven't personally tried any of these headphones.

7. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

I read this thread hoping for an answer as well since my original iPod earbuds have begun to fade (typical wires exposed issue at 'Y') but was greeted by nothing but "I've heard" and "my friend said"... does anyone actually have any good experience with a replacement? Thanks.

8. alexf macrumors 6502a

alexf

Sony MDR-EX71SL in-ear headphones.

I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

Nice case too...

(BTW, one thing I really like about these headphones (and this probably goes for most in-ear headphones is that they are essentially earplugs also.

Forget the expensive noise-cancelling headphones for travel - these work even better, as they form a natural seal around the opening of the ear. On a plane, the difference is like night and day.)

9. raynegus macrumors regular

Grado SR80 is the only true soul-mate to the iPod (and iBook/Powerbook).

http://www.goodcans.com/ListeningStation/

Put the Eq on "Bass Booster" and you'll be in heaven.

Warning: you are likely to throw all other headphones in the trash after hearing the SR80 with your pod.

10. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I strongly recommend any KOSS headphones. I use KOSS SportaPro (here from Amazon, you may find them even cheaper elsewhere) with my iPod mini and the sound is awsome. My next buy will probably be the PortaPro or PortaPro2, which should be even better than my SportaPros.

11. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

i would strongly recommend shure E2, but it's more like 100 dollars than 40. however, sound quality is great and it comes with replaceable silicons of three sizes, one of which will likely fit into your ear perfectly. those are comfortable to wear and that alone might be worth something for you ;)

12. Bad Beaver macrumors regular

Apple's In-Ears are able to sound incredibly great with a few albums I have. Sadly, that is rather a minority, for most albums they have a tendency to be either too harsh, too mushy, or too bloated, depending on the recording.

For CHEAP but GOOD phones I would say:

- KOSS KSC-35 or KSC-50
    - Sennheiser MX-400 or MX-500

All in your budget range.

And if you dare you will go here: http://www.head-fi.org and check the archives.

13. windowsblowsass thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for all th reccmendations although theres no way im paying 100 bucks becase theyll be broken within 2 months then im out of money

14. gwangung macrumors 65816

Yeah, the MDR-EXs havev a good rep.

Might want to try the Sennheiser PX100s and 200s...they also have a good rep.

For the $100 range, I like the Sony mdr7506...nice isolation (and they double for studio and video work for me...all the pros use 'em....)

15. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Yeah, iPodlounge has never been the same since it was slashdoted after it did an article on taking the iPod mini apart. It's never been the same.... :(

Also the sound could be bad because of what Wes said about the head phones.

16. morkintosh macrumors regular

I have a pair of the in-ear head phones and I love them. I think they sound much better than the stock ear buds, and they stay in my ear much better.

But if I were getting new head phones I would go for the Bang n Olufsen pair. I am told this is about the best sound you can get.

17. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

I have a pair of Sony Fontopias, like the MDR-EX ones in the links above. If properly fitted, they're great--sealing out noise, and sealing in your music. You don't have to turn up the volume to hear your music over the people around you, and they don't hear your music.

18. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

this is one of the better models out there, but in my opinion the best ever manufactured so far is the shure E5 model... in europe those cost 700 euros a piece...

19. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

If your stock iPod headphones are starting to wear out, go through Apple's support site, tell them that your headphones aren't working well anymore, and they'll send you a new pair free. I know because I had to get a new pair because my old ones stopped working

20. windowsblowsass thread starter macrumors 6502a

has anyone tried any audiobahn buds/ i saw them at circuit cit and was curious

21. Windowlicker macrumors 6502a

Windowlicker

Yes, the sound depends very much on how well you can fit them in your ears. When I bought mine I spent some time trying all the three sizes of filters and ended up with the medium size. I think the sound is just amazing for an ear bud. The bad thing is that I usually have to press them deeper in my ear every now and then, because they tend to slide out a bit, which will cause loss of bass. This is a bit annoying sometimes, but if I was asked if I would rather use those that shipped with my iPod I surely would say NO.

22. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

EX71's.

They sound best for your price range.

23. morkintosh macrumors regular

They are great headphones (for the money). Sound quality is good, and most importantly they fit comfortably in our year ... more so than do the earbuds that come with the iPod.

24. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Another vote for Koss PortaPro here.
    Its much better than the SportaPro.

Atleast here (in norway) Koss is replacing your headset if you ruin it.
    I have replaced mine twice the lasts three years, not because of poor quality, but because i've given them a hard time.

The Grado SR80 also rocks, they are better than the Koss PortaPro, but they uses more power than the Koss, and have a 4' cable, thick as your pinky finger. I don' find them portable enought for an iPod.
    The Grado SR40 is a good portable headset, but they are made og cheapish plasic and they aren't sturdy at all. I have destroyed three sets of them..

So this boils down to; PortaPro is the best on the go, but at home the Grado SR80 blows everything away :)