iPod Earphones

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by paxtonandrew, Sep 8, 2004.

1. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

Well, my iPod earphones finally died today, and I was wondering if anybody knows of any good replacements? I like the Bud style, and don't want to get any in-ear models. My coworkers have recommended anything by Sony. Are they compatible with my iPod. I have a gen3 20 gig (scroll wheel).

Thanks for your help.

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...basically any earphones with the standard stereo 1/8" mini-jack are compatible with the iPod. Sony makes lots of models in a variety of price ranges, as do Panasonic and others. It is difficult to recommend anything specific without knowing what your budget is. All I would say is, you get what you pay for..buy cheap ones and they don't sound great and don't last long. I prefer the in-ear ones myself, the Sony EX71's....oh yeah!

(oh, and while there may not be any guidelines here, your sig is kinda large...too many lines in it...can't you squeeze it down a bit so it does not take up so much space on a page?)

3. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

If you're just something that replaces the free iPod phones, then just get a pair of Sennheiser MX500. Good value, good sound.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I went to Wallgreens and picked up a $9 pair of earphnoes, and I love them, but I love the sound produced by the iPod's Earphones.

TEG

5. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I agree with Duff Man...the Sony MDR-EX71SL (Sony really can do the catchy names!!) are a great mid-priced replacement for the standard iPod earphones. Plus they come in white! :D

6. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Sorry just noticed that you don't want the in-ear models...try the Sony MDR-E888SP instead. My friend has them and they sound great, a big step up from the iPod earphones.

7. paxtonandrew thread starter macrumors 6502

Fixed Sig, Much Smaller now, Taken out all the useless crap...

Anyway, i don't really have a budget, but I want to get away with spending as little as possible. I do have to know that i will be buying quality, hence the Sony decision. Any other ideas?

Thanks for your help to the people who have already posted.

8. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

i just use sony h.ear headphones. they're earbuds but with that clip thing so they stay on and are comfortable. theyre like 10 bucks at best buy or circuit city, come in many colors (hot pink!), sound about as good as the apple earphones IMHO, and if they break, theyre 10 bucks--buy another pair

9. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

how old is your iPod? if less than a year, you can fill out an online form for iPod repairs and get a replacement earbuds.

10. maelstromr macrumors 6502

maelstromr

My original apple ear buds died too after a year, I bought apple in the ear and HATE them. They do NOT stay in my ear well when walking and absolutely not when running. Does anyone have any suggestions or an as stylish/quality replacement?

I can't find the E888SP either, were they discontinued?

11. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

12. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

New solution for anyone with mousepad/earphone/mouse (and don't really have a prefrence) questions.

Go to Best Buy/Circuit city.
    Look at what they have.
    Get whichever you fancy most.

I understand this is a buyer's advice forum, but things like mousepads and $10 headphones (assuming you're not an audiophile or something) won't cause much buyer's remorse. If it's under $20, just go for it!

13. maelstromr macrumors 6502

maelstromr

Except we're talking about $40-80 items here.

14. paxtonandrew thread starter macrumors 6502

I got my iPod in december last year, so, it is less than a year old. How do i fill in this so called form?

Thanks for all your help guys, it is much appreciated.

15. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i think you can proceed from here:

http://depot.info.apple.com/ipod/

just fill out the form and say that your headphone died. wait a week or so and you should get a package with a brand new pair.

16. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

If he wants to spend as little as possible, it won't be $40-$80. My position stands.

17. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

don't really want to be contentious, but i don't think it really helps to be told to go look at bestbuy.com or circuitcity retail stores, etc. i think we can figure that out on our own - we wouldn't be asking the question to begin with if we thought we could just shop on our own and felt ok about the choice we make - yes, even if the item is just $20 or under.

if you are peeved that the question being posted is "elementary" then perhaps those threads shouldn't be read past the first post or bother replying with what could be construed as sarcastic/snide comment at best?