Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jkelly888

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2005
pluto
i have looked around the internet and i have found instructions for making battery packs for ipods for only older ipods(4G and older) and using firewire ports. what i'm asking is if anyone can tell me how to make one for a 5G ipod using a usb port. like the 2 places the power wires would connect and how to make it the propor voltage for an ipod video. doesn't the ipod video use 5 volts or something?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
jkelly888 said:
tell me how to make one for a 5G ipod using a usb port.
The 5G still takes power over firewire, it just doesn't sync data over it, so why reinvent the wheel?

B

jkelly888

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2005
pluto
balamw said:
The 5G still takes power over firewire, it just doesn't sync data over it, so why reinvent the wheel?

B
the thing is, i'm kinda short on money (less than 20 bucks) so i can't afford a firewire cable for the ipod and i have the usb parts laying around my desk.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
jkelly888 said:
the thing is, i'm kinda short on money (less than 20 bucks) so i can't afford a firewire cable for the ipod and i have the usb parts laying around my desk.
Not only is USB is 5V but it is also current limited to 500mA, so USB has a hard time powering and charging the iPod. Wait till you have the bucks and do it right. Otherwise, try this.... (at your own risk)

http://www.hackaday.com/entry/1234000520028239/

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.