iPod - Files between Mac and XP

Discussion in 'iPod' started by VanMac, Apr 8, 2006.

1. macrumors 6502a

May 26, 2005
    Rampaging Tokyo

I've searched and read some threads similar to what I want to do, but nothing exact, so here goes.

I have an iPod, iBook, and Windows XP. We also use XP at work.

I currently synch my iPod with iTunes in my iBook. It is mac formatted.

I want to be able to take files back and forth to work using my iPod. Disk is enabled, but alas, the XP machines want to format it.

I can reformat the iPod on my XP machine, and be able to use it for file transfers, but will it sync up to my mac as it does now?

I am unable to install third party tools on work machine, so have to work within that context.

Any advice on best way to go about this would be appreciated. Basically I still want to sync tunes via iBook, but need to transfer files back and forth between XP machines and iBook. I dont really care what the iPod is formatted as, as long as it works.

2. macrumors 6502a

Aug 21, 2004
    Have the winxp format it, it will format it into fat32.
    The mac will sync to it just fine.
  3. macrumors G4

Nov 3, 2005
    If only OS X could format it like that too...

Mac's can certainly read window's iPods just fine.
  4. macrumors regular

Mar 4, 2003
    Another way to do it if you want to leave it formatted as a Mac OS drive is to use a program called MacDrive. It reads and writes to Mac OS Formatted drives in Windows, and it can specifically configure iTunes to work with Mac iPods. It's a pretty nice utility to have in a pinch. I think it comes with a few days free trial.

Edit: saw that you can't use third party tools... so this probably wouldn't be a solution for you

But aside from formatting iPods in FAT 32, I suspect that Apple might come up with a few solutions of its own in the near future to ensure a better experience for mac-formatted iPod users, like possibly releasing a driver for Windows, considering they now "unofficially" support its installation on their computers.
  5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

May 26, 2005
    Rampaging Tokyo
    Thanks for the confirmation all.

Reformatted on XP machine, and can share files on both systems, and sync iTunes to mac. :)