Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Hi all. I'm seriously looking at getting an iPod in the next few months now that my bonus just made its way into my hands WOOT! :D

I did have a few questions in regards to the iPod and compatibility with the Firewire port on my Toshiba laptop. The port is marked IEEE 1394 which is obviously Firewire however I noticed that in comparison to PowerBook Firewire ports and even the Firewire port on the soundcard on my desktop its like 1/4-1/2 the size. Is this form of Firewire the 4 pin version?

Also if it is will the accessory that comes with the iPod "FireWire cable and 4-pin-to-6-pin FireWire adapter" allow the cable to interface with this port on my laptop?

The reason I ask is the only other interface I have on my 3 year old laptop is USB1 which is SLOOOOOOOOW. The built in Firewire port is my only high speed alternative other then going out and buying a PCMCIA Firewire card which I would like to avoid.

Finally what is the major difference between 6 pin and 4 pin Firewire ports? The only thing I can guess off the top of my head would be supporting power on the 6 pin. Can anyone verify this or straighten me out? Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

bidge

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
New Zealand
Yeah, 6 pin firewire supply's power while 4 pin firewire does not. This means that you will have to plug your iPod into the mains and charge it and make sure it has enough battery in it whenever you are updating.

If the port in your laptop is 4 pin firewire, it come the adaptor necessary in the box.

The option is if your Toshiba laptop has USB2 which I assume it would since it's got firewire. There is a NZ$ 45 cable that splits the dock connector into mains and USB2 meaning that it can be charged/have power while it is plugged into the computer.

If you get an iPod mini the iPod mini comes with a firewire to dock connector cable as well as a USB2 to dock connector cable. Again it won't charge over 4 pin firewire, but it will charge over USB2 without the extra cash for a USB2 cable

Those last two pargraphs were all providing you had USB2, so you can ignore them if you don't.

Hope this was helpful

EDIT: just realised that you said that your laptop only has USB1, I thought you were talking about a different laptop, the USB2 stuff may be helpful for someone else...

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Thanks Bridge. That's all the confirmation I needed. I think I'm going to hold off getting an iPod until summer what with the G4 iPod rumors floating around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.