iPod Firewire Jack

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Macmaniac, Apr 29, 2003.

1. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

This pertains to the new iPods, I noticed that the new iPods don't seem to use the same firewire jack that the old ones have.
    Is this because they are dependent on a cradle for charging and transfer?
    If you can only charge and transfer via your cradle that would be very bad because you have to lug it with you wherever you go if you want to transfer new music. That would not be very handy for laptop owners, because its one more thing to carry.

Can you use a plain FW cable to charge the new iPod and to transfer music?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Seems Apple has made new iPods less pirate friendly. ;)

A little bit more difficult to drag-n-drop files if you need to carry around a cradle with you, instead of a simple FW cable.

3. brogers macrumors regular

The 10 gig model does not have a cradle but comes with a Fire Wire calbe instead which has a plug on one end that will fit the new "socket". You don't have to have the cradle. If you buy the 15 or 30 gig you can buy an extra cable so you can use it elswhere without the cradle as well.

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Actually all of them come w/a cable. Just the 15 and 30 gig versions come w/a dock too. The dock and the cable are seperate.

Lethal

5. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

So, the cable that goes from computer to dock has a FW connector at one end and an ipod/dock connector at the other? In other words, that cable can be used either to plug into the dock or plug into the bottom of the ipod?

6. brogers macrumors regular

My bad. At least we know that you don't have to have the cradle to do the syncing.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

OK, so the dock is the cable equivalent of a 90° cable elbow + stand.

---

Hopefully, the new Dock Connector will have fewer stress problems than the old FW port.

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Correct. The dock is just a place to put yer iPod if you don't want it just laying on yer desktop or where ever.

Lether

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The dock also has a stereo output of some kind (not sure if it's 3.5" jack or RCA so as you can leave it hooked up to your stereo system. I think that's pretty cool.

10. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

i think that apple made a very good move with the docking station. it's like with PDAs...it's just so much easier to pop it into a cradle/docking station and keep that plugged in and sitting on the desk instead of having a loose cable laying around ready to get tripped on or yanked out of the computer.

and a quote from apple about the speaker jack...

11. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

Yeah, i like the idea of the dock, if i get a new ipod ill have to get an extra dock for my stereo. Now that FW is gone, what does the top look like, just the other headphone jack and hold button?

12. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

since you are too lazy to look at the pics on apple's website...

Attached Files:

13. MacRumorSkeptic macrumors regular

Does anyone know what the 4 pin to 6 pin Firewire cable is for?

My first thought was for the dock to the computer but the 10 gig iPod comes with the cable and no dock.

14. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

sometimes reading the tech specs page is good. they all come with the cable, and the two high ends come with the cradle.

iJon

15. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

connection to PC firewire (unpowered) ports?

I'm amused by the fact that someone who wants to get the USB2 cable will have to pay $20. could almost buy a PCI firewire card for that:p . So people will.

16. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

im getting a 15GB on friday, so i'll let you guys know how it goes. i've been waiting so freaking long for one! and i get a free t-shirt and poster when i buy it on friday night at the apple in store event:D

17. segastyle macrumors member

this stinks!

i'm gussing the only reason they did this was so they can start charging us for a new cable. with a new ipod, you're going to have to make sure you always have that cable with you.

never had to worry about carrying one from my home to work or to my girlfriends, because any firewire cable would have sufficed. no more. so now that universal firewire plug that i've left plugged into my computer for a video camera or ipod or external drive of some sort will no longer work with the ipod.

they could have been nice and just put a firewire port and a usb port on the bottom.

and of course it's $20 per cable...