Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SharksFan22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
Bay Area, CA
Hi - just picked up a 4G 20GB iPod to replace my 2G 10GB model. I can't believe how much smaller and lighter the new one is. Wow.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a *good* FM transmitter for the iPod? In one of my cars, I only have a CD player/FM/AM head unit with no other input options (e.g. cassette adapter, Aux input, CD changer controls) but before I buy one, I wanted to know what's the best FM transmitter on the market? Unfortunately, swapping out the head unit with a new one such as the new Alpines with integrated iPod support isn't an option.

Thanks!

Natalia81

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2004
Griffin's iTrip is pretty good. I just got it last week. But I've heard that if you live in a big city it's not as good.

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
i have a griffin itrip and i would definatly recomend it. once you have found a decent station to set it on it is very good. it drains the battery quite heavily so i would also recommend gettign the griffin powerpod to go with it.

also changing the station that it transmits on is pretty simple if necessary.

TLRedhawke

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2004
The iTrip by Griffin is the best all around transmitter. Good signal, low power consumption, classy looking, and fairly cheap. Belkin's TuneCast 2 (different from the original TuneCast) is about the same price, is not so good on the transmission front, but draws no power whatsoever from the iPod. Sonnet also has one out (though I can't recall the name right now) which envelops the iPod entirely, and runs via the dock connector. As such, it's transmitting digital audio as opposed to the analog of the other two. It does provide a 6 pin firewire out, so you can still plug the iPod in. So, good transmission, but a wee bit ugly, as the iPod literally lays inside it.

SharksFan22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
Bay Area, CA
Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I'm going to give the Tunecast 2 a try. I like the idea of the AAA batteries that don't drain the iPod's battery. I'm lucky with regards to proximity, because there's a shelf right below the head unit, making it likely that I'll have little to no broadcast problem.

Thanks again!

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
ugh, the tunecast
I have had the Tunecast and the iTrip AND currently I use the Monster iCarPlay...It might be expensive, but it's the best one that I've found.

If you're looking for something that doesn't drain the battery, this is it. It CHARGES the battery. You don't want to have to spend $5 every month or so on AAA batteries.

The more batteries you buy, is the time that you could have been with the iCarPlay which doesn't use batteries.

iTrip is good, i just didn't like how it drained my battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.