iPod Font?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Wes, Mar 20, 2004.

1. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I'm working on a project and I'm wondering what font the word 'MENU' is written in, on the wheel of the iPod Mini. I know the OS is in Chicago... anybody know?

2. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

can you post a shot of it? I don't have an iPod but I'm really good with fonts (20 years of it anyway) without seeing it, I'm thinking Arial, or Charcoal, those are pretty common san serif fonts used on a lot of equipment.

3. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I can't tell you what the font on the menu button is, but this article says that the font that is on the screen is not chicago on the mini, and has changed to Epsy.

4. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

5. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

Old School Fonts

The original iPod uses the Chicago font, a bitmap font made specifically for the Mac and used in the original Mac OS UI (Menus, buttons). It was designed to maximize readability on low-res bitmap-bases screens.

Espy Sans is another Apple font that was to be used in the UI of the default of theme/appearance that was part of the ill-fated Copland project.

Mac OS 8 ended up using Charcoal, originally called Truth, which looked more like a modern Chicago than the short and stout Espy.