Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

photogpab

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Just bought myself a new car (my previous vehicle was old... really, really old) so I'm getting used to this new car coming with a built in "ipod connector" and all that good stuff... love it.

BUT, i cant use itunes match, because when i plug my iphone into the car, it wont let me use the "music" app to stream. the car only plays music that is already stored on my iphone (downloaded from match). i cant "stream" the music.

frustrating, but i thought maybe i should just cancel 'match' and buy myself a big ipod classic or another ipod, store all my music on it, and just use it for the car.

i dont want to spend alot of money. im checking ebay and all the usual places... any other places i should check that are more reputable? the refurbished ipods on apple's website are pricey, and they only offer nano's and ipod touches, which dont offer much capacity for the money.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
The iPod shuffle may not actually be a bad recommendation because in my experience, the UI lag of most car iPod interface is so terrible that it eventually drives you mad. So at least with the shuffle you can drop a playlist you like on it and listen to it over and over again. That been said, i have an iPod classic in my car and like having access to all my albums on there particularly when I am on the road for a prolonged period of time. Best of luck in whatever you do

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
See if you can test out a friends old iPod model BEFORE you buy. The support for charging varies among car manufacturers. For example, my wife's Infiniti wouldn't charge her older nano but her new car does. If the car won't charge the iPod while you drive, it's a hassle to remove, charge, and return it to the car.

Besides that, we both have "dedicated" car iPods now and it is sweet! Get some new music and just sync the iPod to get new tunes in the car. No more copying or burning!

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
I like to run my 160gb iPod in my car so I have all my music at once. I am add when it comes to music one min I may want to listen to one thing and the next something completely different. Also its cool when my friends are in the car so that I have something that would please every one and not just me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.