Ipod for pc and mac transfer

Discussion in 'iPod' started by fallacy, Mar 15, 2007.

1. fallacy macrumors member

Hey all,

Just wondering, has there been an app created that will allow me to connect my 30 gig vid ipod to both my pc and mac without having to format every time I connect it either machine? Reason being is that I'd like to be able to transfer music back and forth from work and home etc.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thx.

2. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

There are plenty of third-party programs which allow you to extract / load music on your iPod in both Windows and OS X without going through iTunes "Would you like to nuke your music on this iPod?" rigmarole.

Senuti is an OSX possibility, and Yamipod is a Windows candidate.

Generally speaking though you lose a lot of the core convenience aspects of iTunes when trying to switch one iPod between two libraries in different locations. You might be better off with a UMS (USB Mass Storage) player if you plan to move stuff often. Quite liking my Cowon D2 so far.

3. fallacy thread starter macrumors member

Thanx for that Sesshi. I still face the format problem upon connecting my ipod to my pc.. it automatically asks to format it. Would I just cancel the format dialog box and launch the yamipod app?

4. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

The Mac can read both mac- and pc-formated hard disks (iPods). The PC can only read pc-formated ones. So if you format the iPod on the PC (which will erase the music on it), you can hence use the iPod at work and at home. :)

5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Backup your iTunes library onto data DVDs. Problem solved.

6. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Problem not exactly solved - it means you have a backup that you can't get at that easily, that's it.

Anyway yeah - I failed to take into account you might be running a Mac formatted iPod. If you initialise an iPod on a Mac, it'll be formated as HFS which PC's can't read. As the above poster said if you Restore an iPod on a PC (formatting alone will do nothing) copy of iTunes then it'll be readable/writable on both Mac & Win. Needless to say, make sure you're prepared to lose whatever you've got on the iPod at the time. If you're not the type to automatically keep the iTunes library synced with iPod, then it might be time to break out Senuti first.

A good thing about Yamipod on the PC is that you can put the executable on the iPod itself. Then you can run it on any PC that you plug it into.

7. fallacy thread starter macrumors member

You're right, I did format the ipod with my mac.

But just so I've got this right, I'd format my ipod on my pc, install ITUNES on my pc and I should be able to use the ipod on both my pc and mac(i'll be using ITUNES on my mac as well). And I'd use use senuti to transfer stuff from the ipod to my mac, and the yamipod to transfer stuff from my ipod to my pc..?

WHile this thread is still alive and kickin, I got one more question for you guys. I've noticed that Senuti can only transfer music and not video which kinda sucks. Is there something comparable to senuti that will allow for video transfer and does the yamipod have the same limitations?

Thats a mouthful so I thank you for all your great help up to this point. Even that backing up to Data disk suggestion. Pointless, but I think you meant well...

8. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

You'd install iTunes on your PC, run it, connect and Restore your iPod. Then it'll be loaded with the latest firmware and also formatted as FAT32, the 'PC format'. Of course if there's anything on there you wouldn't want to lose, be sure to back it up beforehand. If you want to start on the PC with a copy of your library on the Mac, you'll need to transport that separately to the Windows PC - or do the conversion, take the iPod back home and reload your library.

Senuti is only required when transferring stuff from the iPod TO the Mac. If you set iTunes to manage music manually, then you can plug in 'alien' iPods and not sync but be able to transfer music to them. You can do the same on the Windows side, or use Yamipod et al full-time. Either way, as I said it's a whole lot of hassle which removes the only really superior factor about the iPod sync these days: the convenience.

No idea about video - wasn't exactly a heavy user of it on the iPod (dumped all my iPods now, might get back into them with the 3G Nano). I do believe Yamipod could do video, but don't quote me on that one.

9. harrysdad macrumors newbie

I use ANAPOD to manage my 80G iPod Video, works a treat on the PC. Much easier than stuffing out with iTunes when it comes to video. I also use Quicktime Pro on the PC for video. Export/Convert original footage to MOV then use QT to convert to iPod, then convert that file to MP4. Seems to get me small files with good quality for PODCASTING. (I make education/geek podcasts for the Australian Senior and VET syllabus'), so mostly short stuff.

I did format it for a PC first, as that is always gonna be the dumber option.

Hope it helps.