iPod for Windows and Mac?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Steven1621, Apr 17, 2003.

1. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

I am a PC user that will be switching to a Mac when I go off to college next fall.

Currently, I am looking to buy an iPod.

Since I have a PC now, I will buy a Windows version iPod. I do want this to work on my Mac later on though.

Will a Windows iPod work on a Mac? I have heard conflicting answers and would like to know for sure.

Thanks,

Steven

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

well currently it can, but you will have to buy a new firewire cable when you switch you mac, other than that your set.

iJon

3. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

I have a 20 gig ipod for windows that I use on my tibook. The supplied firewire cable works on both my pc and mac. No need to buy another firewire cable.

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i thought the windows version came with a 4-6 pin cable.

iJon

5. pcuserx macrumors member

Re: iPod for Windows and Mac?

I'd suggest buying the mac one now since it can easily be made to work on a pc just by downloading some software pack from apple.com

6. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Re: iPod for Windows and Mac?

There's no reason to change it if you get the PC iPod. The PC iPod will work with Mac or PC and you don't have to do any updating or change the format or anything.

I have heard of PC iPods coming with a 4-6pin cord but all the ones I have seen and used have the 6-6pin cord.

I recommend anyone buying an iPod to get the PC one as it will work seamlessly with Mac or PC and it give you the ability to use it with a friends PC without having to reformat your Mac iPod.

For more information that I have posted in the past go to these threads. I have personal experience using a PC iPod with a Mac and it IS the way to go.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13087

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13474

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13455

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Re: Re: iPod for Windows and Mac?

yeah but musicmatch isnt free, itunes is.

iJon

8. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

wait wait, i really want to know this, the apple store says the windows ipods come with a 4-6 pin, is this true. anyboyd here with windows ipods care to share.

iJon

9. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

The Windows iPod I had had a 6-6pin.

10. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

interesting, thanks for the info.

iJon

11. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

okay, this happened to me... i got the windows 5 gig ipod, and when i hooked it up to my new powerbook, it worked just fine, however, it erased all my music... so beware when you purchase now.

12. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

What do you mean it erased all your music? Off of the iPod? You mean the music you put on there from the PC? That will happen any time you try to change computers. It will or should give you a dialogue asking if you want to do this first though.

You can use the iPod as an MP3 player and transfer the music in this way to another computer as a hack. If you just want to transfer music and data you need to just drag and drop the data on to the iPod as if it is an external drive.

13. MarksEvilTwin macrumors regular

14. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: 6-6 cable

Yeah I forgot about that. The Windows iPod I had also had the 6-4pin adaptor.