Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nichos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2004
Jacksonville, Fl
This may be out there, but I couldn't find it. If it is, please link to the thread:)

I have a 3g bw ipod 30gig. When I don't use it for 2 or more days all the settings are lost. The music is, of course, still there, but all the settings are gone - the backlight timeout, the click wheel sound, etc. The clock is still accurate.

When I turn it on after 2+ days it displays the apple logo first, and asks me to select the language.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
make sure you have the latest software installed on you iPod, try a restore and then upgrade it too. nothing else comes to mind right now.

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2004
I had the same problem on my 3rd gen 20gb. It's HD died though :( :mad:

mine was all up to date and still would forget setting after a day. I didn't get the language thing, but things like the repeat settings, sound check, EQ, and contrast would change (contrast was anoying because my screen was very very light and hard to see on normal contrast)

I think it might be when you turn it off for long enough, when the apple shows up on the screen it means it has reset, thus the settings have too.

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
EJBasile said:
I had the same problem on my 3rd gen 20gb. It's HD died though :( :mad:

mine was all up to date and still would forget setting after a day. I didn't get the language thing, but things like the repeat settings, sound check, EQ, and contrast would change (contrast was anoying because my screen was very very light and hard to see on normal contrast)

I think it might be when you turn it off for long enough, when the apple shows up on the screen it means it has reset, thus the settings have too.

When you've turned it off for long enough and the apple shows, it just means that it shut itself off completely (rather than "sleep"). It shouldn't affect settings.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
I see the same with my iPod mini, i noticed it though only if the battery drains when it not being used for a couple of days. I thought i was imagining things.

nichos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2004
Jacksonville, Fl
stridey said:
When you've turned it off for long enough and the apple shows, it just means that it shut itself off completely (rather than "sleep"). It shouldn't affect settings.

Well, i don't turn it off, other than holding the "play" button for a few seconds - is that sleep, or off? It really shouldn't lose settings if the battery still has power.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
nichos said:
This may be out there, but I couldn't find it. If it is, please link to the thread:)

I have a 3g bw ipod 30gig. When I don't use it for 2 or more days all the settings are lost. The music is, of course, still there, but all the settings are gone - the backlight timeout, the click wheel sound, etc. The clock is still accurate.

When I turn it on after 2+ days it displays the apple logo first, and asks me to select the language.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

I have exactly the same issue with my 3g 40gig. If I don't use it for a while when I turn it on it asks me to select a language and all the settings are back to default (that annoying clicky noise :) )

Layer34

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2005
London
unfortunatley it sounds like a hard drive problem, i have fixed loads of ipods and had this quite a few times, i have always fixed it by replacing the hard drive. It sounds strange that the hard drive should effect the settings but it seems to be the case.

The only other thing it might be is the logic board, this is much cheaper to replace than the hard drive, if you are happy to take your ipod apart then i suggest you try it! (unless its under warranty, if it is then send it back)

MrSugar

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2003
I have a 4g 40 gig. If I leave it all the way off for a few days it will reset basic things like that clicker noise. However, I never have to re-pick language or re-set the clock.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
Layer34 said:
unfortunatley it sounds like a hard drive problem, i have fixed loads of ipods and had this quite a few times, i have always fixed it by replacing the hard drive. It sounds strange that the hard drive should effect the settings but it seems to be the case.

The only other thing it might be is the logic board, this is much cheaper to replace than the hard drive, if you are happy to take your ipod apart then i suggest you try it! (unless its under warranty, if it is then send it back)

That doesn't sound good. My warranty expired in March, and this happened pretty much since I got it. I always thought that when it completely drained the battery it lost settings. Blech. :mad:

nichos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2004
Jacksonville, Fl
Layer34 said:

So, you think all these people have hard drive, or logic board problems? :(
I guess the question now is - does it get worse, or is this just an annoyance I can get use to? Thanks again

Layer34

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2005
London
i would say its the drives, i am no expert on drives but it must be something to do with a sector (bad boot sector?) - i know that when i have encountered this problem i have swapped out the drive and then its been fine.

I can only guess that it will probably deteriorate over time and the drive will probably so i would back up any data that you have on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.