iPod format

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Quadgod86, Mar 1, 2006.

1. macrumors newbie

When I first bought my iPod I had a Windblows machine for school reasons. Since then I have reverted back to Mac and want to change the format of my iPod from Windblows to Mac. Is this possible? If so, how?
    Thanks.

2. macrumors regular

jkelly888

i belive that you just have to plug it into the mac and restore it using the updater. but if i'm not mistaken, a windows formatted ipod should work in a mac too

3. macrumors newbie

A few points to add, had a wondows formatted ipod and it worked fine on my powerbook. however for it to update it had to be reformatted to mac and now i cant use it as an external harddrive on windows machines which is a little annoying. but yes to reformat it simply run an ipod updater and it will automatically change the format.

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

The iPod works fine on the mac.
    My point was really more about updating the software, which I can't do with the windows format. Does restoring the iPod wipe all the info clean? I only use it for music.

5. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, restoring it completely erases everything on the iPod and changes the settings back to the factory default. Unless you manually manage your music though, this shouldn't be a problem. :)

6. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Just make sure you have all of your songs that are on the ipod....you will kick yourself if u lose them.

Bless

7. macrumors 65816

plinkoman

yea, just run the updater and it will take care of it. my iPod used to be windows formatted, and when i got my powerbook last november, i didn't bother reformatting it because it still worked just fine, but i finnaly restored it just a few hours ago to install iPodlinux :eek: :D