ipod from a pc to a mac

Discussion in 'iPod' started by evanrousso, Sep 26, 2006.

1. evanrousso macrumors 6502

I just bought my first mac (a macbook)

Now I have a 60gb 5g ipod thats half way full of stuff that is NOT on my macbook. However, I want to be able to use my ipod with both my mac and pc. Now I want to transfer my tv shows from my itunes on my pc using my ipod to my mac. When I plug my ipod into the macbook, how do i stop itunes from autmatically updating my ipod with my macbook library (i know on a pc itunes defaults to update automatically). I dont want to erase all of my ipod songs I just want to be able to use my ipod interchangably between my mac and pc.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Set the iPod to "Manually Manage Songs and Videos" in the iPod preferences. These preferences are stored in the iPod so once set no computer will attempt to erase your library.

As for getting videos off the iPod onto the Mac, you might be best to find the actual video files and drop them into the iPod's data storage section rather than using iTunes as I don't know of any program that will offload movies. You can then drag the files out of the iPod in the Finder and load them into your Mac's iTunes library. If they are purchased TV shows then iTunes 7 will download them and any other iTunes Store products from your iPod to another authorised computer running iTunes 7.

For easy transfer of songs to your Mac, download Senuti and use that - works a treat for songs and playlists.

Keep your iPod formatted for Windows because the Mac can read both formats whilst Windows can only read one. You will need to use a PC to update the firmware though as it must be done using the same operating system that the iPod is formatted for. It can be any PC running iTunes 7 though, not just the one you've authorised for your iTS account.

3. evanrousso thread starter macrumors 6502

so how do i get the stuff I have already purchased on my macbook? I have to load the actual files on the ipod hard drive and transfer them? Or is itunes going to download them for me again and if so, how do i get itunes to do that?

4. evanrousso thread starter macrumors 6502

nevermind i figured it out, thanks for the help