iPod frozen

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by amholl, Feb 8, 2005.

1. amholl macrumors 6502

my 4G 40GB iPod is frozen. It had been working fine since i bought it in august
    (last used it sunday) but when i tried to turn it on today, it had a picture of a file with an exclamation point come up after the apple logo. So I went to apples web page and it said to plug it in to reset it. So i plugged it in to my iBook(running Panther)and it is now frozen on the do not disconnect screen. I have tried toggling hold and htne holdeng down menu and play at he same time for 10 secslike the page said, but it won't respond. Thanks so much in advance.

-amholl

2. Gee macrumors 65816

Did the ipod appear on the desktop, or in iTunes? Can you eject it from either?

3. emw macrumors G4

emw

You ejected it from the iBook, right? It's no longer connected? Also, the Hold slider isn't set to Hold, is it?

Also, when it was connected to the iBook, did it show up in iTunes (or on the desktop)?

4. thecow macrumors 6502

Did you try to reformat it? Open the latest iPod firmware update and click reset or format or something like that. Does it mound on the desktop?

5. amholl thread starter macrumors 6502

no, Gee, it didn't appear in either. it is completely frozen and when i put my ear up to the back of the pod, i cant hear tthe drive spinning. It doesn't do anyhting when connected to the computer. It is completely dead.

6. amholl thread starter macrumors 6502

Took it to the Apple store. HD failure. They are getting me a new one. Thanks for all of your help!