iPod.. give me help so i can buy one!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by i_wolf, Sep 25, 2002.

1. i_wolf macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2002
    Hi all,
    I already have a 10gig iPod for my mac at home that i use (besides mp3 player) as a portable harddisk with my Mac at work. First off i love the thing. Absolutely great.
    Now this is my problem. I also have a windows (dual boot) Linux machine at home, with a firewire card, usb 2 and usb 1.1 ports. So far so good. Now i have to work with another company ona contract basis and i wanted to buy another iPod windows version for the PC. Now even though i have firewire onmy machine... none of the machines in the company i have to work for have firewire and there is no question of them getting firewire. So what i need to know is whether there is a firewire to usb adapter available... because besides lisening to music i need the portable hard drive. Now i know that if i (theoretically) hooked one up to a usb port i would immediately drop from 400Mb/s to 10mb/s . Unless i got a usb 2 connection!... but these machines that i need to connect to are two years old an only have usb 1.1
    Is there anything any of you could suggest... any adapter... i really love the ipod and want/ NEED to use it to transport my files and folders etc.
    Thanks for the help
  2. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

Jul 25, 2002
    Prospect, KY
    As of now, I don't believe they make a Firewire-to-USB adaptor. The reasons, like you said, are the differences in transfer rates. The iPod is specifically programmed to transfer data within a certain range, and USB 1 could never get anywhere close to that rate, therefore making it impossible to use an adaptor with the iPod. The only thing I could recommend is an external USB hard drive. It would probably be your best bet anyway. Does anyone else have any ideas?
  3. arn macrumors god

Staff Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Yeah - I did a brief search.. and didn't come up with anything that can bridge Firewire to USB. You may be out of luck on this....

I hate to steer you away... but there are some USB mp3 playeres for the PC. I don't know if they offer Hard Drive functionality, but if they do, that might be a comprimise

4. DaedalusDE macrumors regular

Jul 15, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    if u have the money to buy 2 ipods id say just spend the 50- 70 dollars on a usb2/firewire combo upgrade card... unless of course u cant install new hardware into the computers
  5. thornycroft macrumors newbie

Sep 25, 2002
    new zealand
    ive also tried to find one for similar reasons but havent had any luck make sureyou tell us if you find one. youll probably have to go with a usb pocket drive which will probably be cheeper.