iPod go POOF!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by BiPolar, Feb 17, 2004.

1. BiPolar macrumors member

Oct 5, 2003
    Oops, I think i made a big mistake. I was plugging my ipod into a pc ( i know, i know), and when i plugged it in, it kinda look like it got shocked and then the screen read "battery is drained" or something like that. So I reset the ipod and plug it back in, at which point it begins charging, but doesn't mount.

I try to mount it on a mac, and the same thing happens? Any thoughts? Is it dead?
  2. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    Doesn't sound good. But plugging it in shouldn't cause a problem. How old is it (is it still under warranty)?
  3. BiPolar thread starter macrumors member

Oct 5, 2003
    well, plugging it in my have caused a problem. I recently boughta new pc case and mobo, with different pin labels on each for the firewire. I did some research and thought I knew which pins to match up, but obviously i may not have.

Warranty-wise, I have a warranty with compUSA (best thing ever!), so if worse comes tw orse, i'll go and exchange it agin.
  4. sinisterdesign macrumors 6502

Dec 10, 2003
  5. idkew macrumors 68020

Sep 26, 2001
    where the concrete to dirt ratio is better

you fried it once already?
  6. BiPolar thread starter macrumors member

Oct 5, 2003
    No, the computer doesn't even recognize it. It just 'charges". and for giggles, i tried plugging it into a friends powerbook, and it wouldn't even charge. No mount, no charge, no nothing. But on my PC and my G3 it'll charge but not mount.

And I've exchanged whenever major new upgrades came out (10gb, 30gb). Comp USA's warranyt used to be pretty sweet (like $30 for 2 years), but now i think it's about $60 fora year. Best thing is you don't have to actually buy it from them.
  7. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

Jul 15, 2003
    Take it back to CompUSA. The battery life will be completely new, and there isn't anything like being able to open up another new iPod. Also, CompUSA has a great policy of giving you a newer one. IE you bought the 10 gig back in September and it broke just now, they'd give you the 15 because it is now the low end version. At least that's my experience.

8. BiPolar thread starter macrumors member

Oct 5, 2003
    Yeah, I guess i'll have to do that. Question is, do i try and plug the new one into the same firewire port and see what happens? Try switching a couple of wire around and see what happens? Or just give up on the top firewire port (the whole reason I bought the new case), and just use the rear ports.
  9. idkew macrumors 68020

Sep 26, 2001
    where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    why don't you buy a ready to use firewire board?

no soldering and wire-matching necessary.
  10. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    I wouldn't risk plugging it back into the FW port, at least not until you're certain you've got the wiring right :)
  11. BiPolar thread starter macrumors member

Oct 5, 2003
    My mobo has an built-in firwire, so i can use that, but I really wanted to have acess through the top port, so i didn't have to reach around to the back.

Yeah, i know you're right about needing to check the wiring. t's just annoying that the case manufacturer won't email me back.
  12. jtown macrumors 6502

Jul 3, 2003
    If you don't know WTF you're doing when you wire powered ports, don't test them with equipment that costs hundreds of dollars. If this was fark, you'd get a dumbass tag just for suggesting using a replacement ipod as a test device.

CompUSA could quite rightfully refuse to replace your ipod if it was damaged due to your negligence. If they're nice (read: dumb) enough to replace this one without checking it out first, don't push your luck by using the next one to test your port wiring.

If you don't know how to wire a firewire port, have it done by a professional.
  13. BiPolar thread starter macrumors member

Oct 5, 2003
    Hey, cut me some slack. I did a lot of research looking into how to properly wire the pins. A professional would have just as much trouble, seeing as how the pins aren't labelled correctly.

Anyways, CompUSA has a no-questions return policy. So what's the difference if I just get it replaced again at no cost? Seems like i'd be a dumb-ass not to take advantage of it. But I'm not going to risk it anyway.

My risk was negligible because of the warranty, so I felt it was worth it. Anyways, now I can upgrade my 30gb to the 40, so I'm not that upset about it.

And doyou ahve a better idea on how to verify the port? I'd love to know.
  14. jtown macrumors 6502

Jul 3, 2003
    I did cut you some slack. I said you'd get the dumbass tag for thinking about using a replacement ipod for a testing device knowing what happened the last time you tried it. I didn't say you were a dumbass for the initial incident, just for the fact that you considered trying it again using such an expensive testing device. :)

One of my cases has one of those annoying messes of individual plugs for the front USB ports. You can bet I didn't test it by plugging in my MP3 player. I plugged in a $9.99 joystick to make sure the ports worked.

So how to fix it. Are you counting the pins right on the motherboard? They generally go like this:

1 2
    3 4
    5 6
    7 8

with pin 10 generally omitted to allow the use of a keyed socket.

The order on my VIA M10000 motherboard (the only one I have with one of these on the board) is

1 TPA+
    2 TPA-
    3 GND
    4 GNF
    5 TPB+
    6 TPB-
    7 1394_VDD
    8 1394_VDD
    9 GND

A firewire socket (with the angled end to the right) is

2 4 6
    1 3 5

and the pinout is

1 Power (VDD)
    2 GND
    3 TPB-
    4 TPB+
    5 TPA-
    6 TPA+

As you can see, it's not 1 to 1, 2 to 2, etc. In the adaptor that came with my motherboard, pins 3 and 4 are shorted in the adaptor's cable. So are 7 and 8. 9 goes to the shield. Also, if you're using a diagram for a cable, remember, that cable flips 180 degrees when you plug it in. If you wired the socket using a cable diagram

1 3 5
    2 4 6

that would be a Really Bad Thing(tm). Your power and ground would be swapped which would reverse the polarity and...zap.
  15. BiPolar thread starter macrumors member

Oct 5, 2003
    Hmm, but the weird thing is, if the powered cables were the issue, why would it charge my battery when I plug it in, but not mount? Even odder, is that won't \even charge on my friend's powerbook.

Maybe you can help me some more, here are the labeled inputs:

labeled as j41/j42 and stated as for the Abit Media XP product. But
    the additional firewire plugs that the board came with plug into them.
    So I assume that I should be able to plug the case ones into them as
    1)TPA +
    9)NO PIN

and this is what was suggested as the correct match:

1)TPA + = TPA*
    2)TPA- = TPA
    3)GND = GROUND
    4)GND = GROUND
    5)TPB+ = TPB*
    6)TPB- = TPB
    7)+12V = VP
    +12V = VP
    9)NO PIN
    10)GND = GROUND

WHen I placed the pins in, I had them in the pin numbers as defined by the mobo manual. THeir placement was also with the labeled side facing inwards.