iPod 'Godfather' Tony Fadell Steps Down as Apple Advisor

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 30, 2010.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The New York Times reports that Tony Fadell, who has variously been known as the father, grandfather, and godfather of the iPod, has severed his final ties with Apple, stepping down from his position as special advisor to CEO Steve Jobs. Fadell had previously served as senior vice president of the iPod division, but resigned in November 2008 for personal reasons. He did, however, remain on Apple's payroll in an advisory capacity.
    Upon stepping down from his executive role, Fadell was replaced by IBM chip designer Mark Papermaster. Papermaster's appointment was held up, however, by a lawsuit filed by IBM regarding a claimed violation of his employment contract by departing to work for a competitor. The situation was eventually resolved, and Papermaster began work in April 2009.

For his part, Fadell will reportedly be shifting focus to green technology, where he plans to advise companies and work with private investments.

Article Link: iPod 'Godfather' Tony Fadell Steps Down as Apple Advisor

2. macrumors 6502

Imagine Real dominant in the PMP market....

*shudder*

3. macrumors 6502a

Good on 'im. Apple's now large, affluent and influential. But it can't be all there is.

4. macrumors member

It the title correct?

Was this guy from England?

I'd just like to point out that the iPod was invented by someone in England. Apple have even asked him to appear in court hearings to prove crucial information which clearly states he was the original inventor and that Apple bought the patents, when he couldn't raise the the 70,000 required.

I think the title of this article is misleading if its not this man.

Thanks.

5. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

If Fadell is the godfather of the iPod, what does that make Jon Rubinstein?

6. macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Is this the formal beginning of the end of the stand alone iPod?

7. macrumors member

Is it hard to believe that more than one person was instrumental in the development of the iPod?

8. macrumors 603

bedifferent

Green technologies, I assume this means Eco friendly design and peoducts. Good for him, I'm very pleased to read more about electronics and computer companies taking the innitiative to design and produce systems and devices that will not contribute to ewaste. Apple has set a fine standard that going green doesn't mean going red. I wonder if this guy had anything to do with apples decision in using more aluminum in leiu of plastic as well as mercury and arsenic free materials. For the moment, the average users needs are met with reagrds to processor speeds, etc. So until the day comes when more powerful systems may be needed, focusing on making current systems more energy and material conscious is an excellent step in the right direction and may lead other companies to follow suit. Kudos.

9. macrumors 6502a

mr.steevo

Hi,

I remember in 1987 thinking about computers and CD's (I had the first portable CD player in school) and wondering how I could transfer my music to a microchip. Too bad I wasn't smart enough to follow through on it

s.

10. macrumors 65816

Foxer

Not getting along with Real Networks. Imagine that.

11. macrumors 6502a

Friscohoya

12. macrumors 6502a

That's putting it nicely...

13. macrumors 6502

Haha, just like any computer and any of their software ever get along :p

14. macrumors 6502a

iDisk

Fadells role in the Apple ecosystem is finally over.

His contribution to Apple will always live on through the iPod products

15. macrumors 68000

That would be a sad sad thing.

Anyhow, he's been great for Apple (I guess) so thanks for all!

16. macrumors 6502a

Sorry no your very misinformed. Tony Approached Apple with the portable music player idea after Philips turned him down. Jonathan Ive came up with the revolutionary design he's English thats about all thats right :p

17. macrumors 68030

Rubinstein left Apple, allegedly just hung out on a beach and then Palm approached him to do the Pre. I think that track record speaks for itself.

Either way, nice career shift Fadell. Should be fun to see who you work with this time next year. That is, if you are working at all.

18. macrumors 603

The iPod was not invented. The concept of a digital music player was invented by who I think you are trying to refer to (and perhaps not clearly remember it was to negative some patents, not buy them up. His idea was back in the walkman era when nobody had anything like nor the practical tech to implement it mass market. ) Clearly. the iPod was not even the first commercial MP3 player on the market.

That isn't the notion of an iPod+Software(eventually iTunes)+ecosystem to hook them together.

19. renata345, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2013

macrumors newbie

20. macrumors 68040

tigres