iPod Halo effect working

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ftaok, Mar 6, 2005.

1. ftaok macrumors 601

Jan 23, 2002
    East Coast
    Just some observations that I've seen over the last couple of weeks. There have been numerous posts from PC users in this forum asking for help with transferring their music to the Mac. A lot of it must have been driven from PC users with iPods buying new Macs.

Look out for a blowout quarter for AAPL coming up. I'm chicken, so I won't be buying any stock, but I'll complain about it later when AAPL hits $120.

Just think, when the first iPods came out, I thought WTF is Apple thinking. Are they out of their minds. I guess that the people at Apple do really know what they're doing.
  2. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    And think what a pleasant surprise iTunes on the Mac will be to them - amongst many others.

I had the 'misfortune' to play with iTunes on the PC for a colleague at work last week and, although it worked, it just wasn't the same...
  3. paulypants macrumors 6502a

Jun 17, 2003
    Buffalo, NY
    I feel the same way -- it's the same, but just feels different...
  4. runninmac macrumors 65816

Jan 20, 2005
    Rockford MI
    Yes well there are going to be at least 2 posibly 3 new mac users by the end of this year in my family. Me for one... (once i have enough money for a PB). My brother has his iPod and he just loves it and he told me hes also getting a PB for college and then my sister loves the way iBooks look so she may be switching to and shes happy to hear she doesnt have to worry about viruses. I feel like I have done good deed for making them listen to me when I am talking about macs.
  5. MacBacon macrumors newbie

Mar 3, 2005
    I'm a recent Mac convert from PC, got my sexy G5 because of the iPod - very clever marketing from Apple. :)
  6. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

Oct 16, 2003
    I have a PC and recently bought a Mac mini and I find that iTunes is surprisingly the same on both platforms. I actually miss the system tray icon and having the controls dock in the taskbar, but the mini player works just as well in OS X.

I am not a "switcher" as I will always have PCs around, but I am VERY happy to own a Mac too. I guess that makes me an "adder". My iPod was part of the reason for my Mac mini purchase, but not completely. I suppose the "halo effect" influenced me. I also recently got a digital camera (Canon Powershot A95) and I had been wanting to play with iLife and learn OS X just for variety. I had used Macs back in college a bit too and had used iTunes v1 and v2. I have never used OS X prior to own my Mac mini it was always OS 8 and 9 and I still used PCs more than Macs back then, so I am not completely unfamiliar with Macs.

Here's some initial thoughts from a Windows power-user:

1. Apple's designs are awesome.
    2. Expose rocks!
    3. The tight integration between OS X and Apple's core applications is nice. (e.g. I add someone to Address Book and their full name and picture from my Address Book show up in my iChat Buddy List)
    4. Although I always bashed Apple for the one-button mouse, after a few days of heavy OS X use I am a bit more understanding as right-clicking is not needed as much using OS X as it is for using Windows. I find myself right-clicking on everthing out of habit to find more options. Sometimes I find things, but often times I don't. It's a little like being in the Twilight Zone. I still think they should offer a two-button mouse and I am not budging on the scroll wheel - Apple what are you thinking? Browse the web without a scroll wheel?!?!
    5. I like Windows networking/file sharing better than OS X's.
    6. iLife is amazing. I use iTunes all the time of course and I've started using iPhoto with my digital camera and made a couple slideshows, added background music, exported to .mov. Very nice! Makes me want to go out and buy a digital video camera just so I can play with iMovie and iDVD.
    7. Windows Explorer seems more responsive than Finder, but Finder crashes less - but it does crash.
    8. Syncing contacts, calendar items, to do items with my iPod is nice. iSync is much nicer than iPod Agent on the PC, especially because I never liked using Outlook. Now Sprint just needs to get their act together and offer more phones that work with iSync.
    9. I prefer Firefox on Windows, but Firefox on OS X is still better than Safari. Safari has a great interface but loads/renders too slow.
    10. I really like Mail. I never cared for Outlook for personal use (I think it is great for businesses, I use it at work). I even like Mail better than Thunderbird on the PC, which was impressive, IMO.
    11. I miss Trillian. I love the iChat interface and some of the gimmicky features, but it does haven't enough power-user options. I have had many people recommend AdiumX and I intend to check it out soon, maybe that'll change my mind on Trillian, but Trillian v3 is nice!

I've had the mini less than a week, so we'll see how I feel after getting into a larger portion of the OS X features. I may attempt to move my website (phpBB board with PHP/MySQL) to my mini. Although I've never used Apache and I am VERY familiar with IIS. We'll see, I'm enjoying it so far though. Thanks for the Kool-Aid Steve! :)
  7. maehara macrumors regular

Jan 2, 2003
    Northern Ireland
    I think Mac mini has a lot to do with it as well - I'm waiting on mine to arrive (to join my 3 PC desktops & 2 laptops), and it can't come quickly enough.

Waiting on it to ship is a lesson in patience, though. 2 weeks since I ordered, another 2 before it's due to ship... :(
  8. ziwi macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2004
    Right back where I started...
    I have noticed the same ting - the Apple stores at the malls a re teeming with people - pulled in for the music players and then they see the other set ups of iMac, Mini, laptops and towers and start to play around - and then the impulse takes over and they buy the mini or the iMac or the ibook - mostly the consumer stuff all because they were drawn in from the iPod.
  9. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Feb 16, 2005
    Lyon, France
    Dude!? What are you waiting for? Check it out now!