Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
I am reformatting my computer, and im going through to backup everything i need. Will the music on my ipod load back onto the computer after i clear everything on the computer? Or do I have do backup all those files on a DVD also? Also does anyone have any useful tips for reformatting, this is my first time on the mac, and I have tons of files, some i dont want some i do. Thanks!!

Kurt
_

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
As far as I know, the music will not sync back to your computer unless you use a special program for it. I think there is one called xpod.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Back em up!

Here's what's supposed to happen--in slightly simplistic terms: The music is stored on your computer. When you make changes on the computer the iPod will reflect them the next time you plug it into the computer. If you take all the music off the computer then the next time you plug in the iPod all the music will be taken off of it so that it will match what's on the computer. As odd as it sounds, that's what it's supposed to do.

If you tell iTunes not to automatically update and all that stuff then it won't automatically delete the songs when you plug in the iPod. I wouldn't rely on that to preserve your songs because bad things sometimes happen. You might be tired the next time you plug in the iPod and carelessly click through all the warnings.

There are apps for taking songs off of an iPod, but I'd say since this is important stuff that you want to keep you should back it up to DVD or a hard drive. Always back up things that you want to keep.

If you don't have too many songs you could mount your iPod as a hard drive and back up to that.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
i have 9.29 GB of music and 1 dvd plus 2.21 gig on another, that wont do it. I think i will get some more dvd's and back it all up. Dang, i was hoping to be able to reformat tonight. Thanks guys.

Kurt
_

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.