iPod Hater

Discussion in 'iPod' started by dmw007, Apr 4, 2006.

1. macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
  2. Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    I skimmed that article earlier. It isn't even worth reading. The guy couldn't even spell iPod and iTunes correctly.
  3. macrumors 68040

Oct 19, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    Some one needs to tell Barry that satire works a lot better when it's short & sweet. 7-8 pages of you ranting isn't funny.

"duh, I hate the little 'i' in Ipod...it makes me mad grrrrrrrr :mad: "
  4. thread starter macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    The guy even puts a disclaimer in the begging of the article. :rolleyes:

5. thread starter macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    I hate it when people call an iPod an "IPod" or iTunes, "ITunes". :rolleyes:

The word that comes to mind is, "L-O-S-E-R". :rolleyes: :)
  6. macrumors bot

Jul 5, 2003
    Who Designed This Crap? The Great Ipod Scam

Category: Opinion/Interviews
    Link: Who Designed This Crap? The Great Ipod Scam
    Description:: WARNING: If you own an Apple Ipod or have a passionate desire to own one, reading this article could be hazardous to your health. On the other hand it might help you break or avoid a nasty and expensive habit.

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug
  7. macrumors 6502a

Jun 23, 2005
    The article is poorly written and half of his arguements are a waste of space. Complaining about whether or not the i of ipod should be capitalised should sounds like the rambling of a bitter and twisted man. As for the fragility of the nano - it was a widely reported issue and yet people still bought it in their millions. Those of us who never had the problem still believe that it was just a bunch of muppets not taking adequate care of their new toy. With regards to DRM, if he can think of a better way to appease the record industry then go ahead, or he can continue to rip his own CDs and have unlimited use of them via itunes or whatever other music player he chooses.

If you don't like itunes/ipods then don't buy one; why people feel compelled to buy into the system and then whine I have no idea but judging by the number of people who go out and buy every new generation, it seems that they have no problems with it.
  8. macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    San Francisco
    That's pretty much were I stopped paying attention. itunes does a negligible amount for apple; the money is solely in the ipods. But hey, who needs facts when you can rant? :rolleyes:

His complaints seem to be:
    - the nano scratches too easily
    - there are too many DMR restrictions
    - apple uses a lowercase "i" to "lure you in" with its "cuteness" and then hits you over the head with $.99 music downloads.
    - the ipod uses a Li battery instead of AAA

And because of these horrors he concludes:
    It's hard to think of something sarcastic and derisive enough to say about this guy and his article...
  9. macrumors 65816

May 6, 2005
    Bay Area
  10. macrumors 6502a

Jun 25, 2005
    Read the first page, scrolled down to the end and saw that there was 6 pages in the article and after one page of complete rubbish I was not going to put myself through the rest :rolleyes: . Who is this guy?
  11. macrumors 6502a

May 28, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Actually, there's misinformation in the article too, not just crap. He states that CDs created with iTunes can't be ripped with other CD rippers, and he states that you can only burn iTMS songs to CD once. This is a flat out lie, and anyone who used the iTMS knows that iTunes strips the encryption when burning to CD, and that there's no restriction on how many times you can burn a certain song to CD, only how many times you can burn a certain PLAYLIST to CD.

He also states that Apple can change the number of authorized computers at any time. This is also a flat-out lie. The original version of FairPlay (version 1) debuted with 3 computer authorizations and 10 playlist burns. If you downloaded any songs with that license in place, those restrictions still apply to those songs in iTunes. Only recently downloaded songs (version 2 of FairPlay) have the newer use rights: 5 computer authorizations and 7 playlist burns.

I won't get into all the other lame arguments he uses to rail against the iPod, but I thought at least I'd point out the factual inaccuracies. I suspect, though, that this might be some sort of lame belated April Fool's Day joke.
  12. mvc
    macrumors 6502a

Jul 11, 2003
    Just another Microsoft Plays-for-Sure shill

6 Pages of worthless ranting

Includes product placement for an ugly lump of unusable plastic (Creative Player)

Includes Lies™, more Lies™ and twisted opinions

Sounds like a 7yr old whining about not getting his way.

Even the Authors name is childish ;)
  13. macrumors regular

Dec 15, 2005
    Gunma, Japan
    come on fellas, it's not a serious article

take these two paragraphs:

I packed up laughing at these, well not quite. Take off the sarcastic exterior and you realise that the writer is giving credit where credit is due, the Ipod is a marketing machine and onethat will not be stopped easily

14. Guest

Apr 17, 2005
    Currently in Switzerland
    He must be working as intern for Enderle and Dvorak's new "consulting" firm...a commendable piece of crap, nothing more...:rolleyes:
  15. macrumors 68020

Jul 18, 2002
    My opinion of Tom's Hardware Guide just dropped significantly after reading just a couple of sections of this utter drivel. I thought those guys had pretty stringent editorial standards, but I guess that just goes for their reviews; it appears that they'll let any old crackpot write an editorial, facts be damned!
  16. macrumors 65816

Nov 20, 2003
    How do websites make money? driving web traffic to thier site

How do they drive traffic to thier site? by putting out interesting (for better or worse) content and having other sites link to it.

We are sitting here griping about this article while we are also bringing traffic to their site and thus paying thier bills.

Joke's on us...no?
  17. macrumors newbie

Mar 22, 2006
    Oxford, UK
    Sad, very

It really bugs me when people (read author) dont bother to actually see what they are writing is actually correct, I'm referring to the DRM issue. TBH I got bored at page 3 but still felt it worth my two pennies. I'm not positie about the laws in the States but here in the UK you are not actually legally alowed to make a backup or any such copy so when you can have the same song on 5 computers, that is really a bargain. Also who actually needs a song on more than 5 computers?

18. Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    That was interesting. I'm not sure how many computers he has but 5 doesn't sound all that restrictive.

I'm also not sure what a standard CD ripper is but I suspect that if you don't burn AIFF or mp3 files (AAC?), you won't get a "standard" application to read it.

Whatever his reason, he made it sound that he was uneducated but had a decent job. I wonder what his supervisor does at review time.
  19. macrumors regular

Dec 15, 2005
    Gunma, Japan
    I'd like it on a compact dics in uncompressed PSM audio, so that I can play it on my home stereo, in my car, take it anywhere I want to, and not have it erased by a chance event.

20. macrumors 603

Jan 10, 2006
    I havent even read the article after reading this response!

iPod is a name and so can be spelt however the creator wishes!

If your nano has broken, it serves you right for not taking care of it. Ive had mine from day one and it doesnt have even the slightest scratch on it and i use it everyday. Muppets..? agreed!
  21. macrumors 6502a

Jihad on capitalisation is just a side effect of exposure to the MAC community :)
  22. macrumors 6502a

Dec 29, 2005
    I love when he (including everyone else) talks about Apple's DRM like none of the other online music vendors have them.

Apple's FairPlay is probably the fairest DRM I've ever seen from an online vendor.

Also, it's pretty difficult for me to take anyone who writes "Ipod" or "Itunes" seriously. Come on, it takes a second to get used to writing "iPod" or "iTunes." It's not that hard.

Also, about the first page, he talks about the lowercase "i" like it's some sort of scheme to make you feel the same way about your iPod that you do about your kitty-witty.

I'm sure, in 2000, all the guys at Apple were just looking around. Then they saw the iMac and they said "how about the iPod?" And then everyone agreed.

And ugh, this guy uses IntelliTXT. That thing is so fecking annoying; it's hard to read the article.
  23. macrumors 68020

Oct 14, 2005
    That aticle is so poorly written I can hardly follow the guy's arguments.
  24. macrumors 68000

Jun 22, 2003
    Sounds like somebody's mad that he bought a Rio Karma cause he can't afford an iPod.
  25. macrumors 68000

May 15, 2005
    NG9, England
    Again using:
    Well, what does the Beatles Apple Corps have to do with battery replacement? Unless he slipped that in on purpose to help the court case in the corps favour, (argue that it is evident people think Apple Corps is Apple Computer).

Secondly, there are many places that can replace batteries for iPods, some even work out as cheap as replacing it yourself. Out of the millions sold, I bet less than 10-15% have severe problems, even after two years, (I say that including all the recent sales as on ones that are currently two years old or more, there were a lot of 3G problems).