iPod HDD burnout

Discussion in 'iPod' started by thejadedmonkey, Jun 16, 2006.

1. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

May 28, 2005
    I am concerned. I have an iPod that I want to install Tiger onto, and use as my startup disk for a few months (until Leapord is out and I can do a "real" upgrade). The only concern is everyone says my hard drive will overheat/burn out. Now, I've used iPod drives to play WoW off of, and if heat became an issue, I'd make it a non-issue. However, this burnout thing worries me. the drive in question is a MK1003GAL, with a lifespan of 5 years
    I figure it's probably been used 1 year so far, and has another 4 to go...or it's from 2003 and has another 2 years, but either way it can last the 6 months..

So back to burnout... has it actually happened to anyone, or is it just something that people caution against but never happens (sort of like how Drexel University tells OS X users to install Norton to prevent system damage from viruses- it can happen, but we all know it won't)
  2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Jul 22, 2005
    i think the HDD spins too slow to have any fun running an OS off it. I have done it in the past, and it does get very warm, but i dont think it would burn out.
  3. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

Oct 12, 2005
    Mean Time To Failure isn't an exact science rather to give the consumer an idea of the life span of an electronic product, it can be more time or less time than the manufacturer states.

If you get 5 years out of a HDD that is pretty darn good because most people upgrade before the MTTF is up.