Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swindmill

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
KY
I'm sure the quality of these things has been discussed before, but I'm just wondering if it's normal for them to sound "crackly". I notice mainly in the right side. It sounds like a cheap and/or blown speaker, especially on higher frequencies. Is there something wrong with this pair or do I just need better headphones?

Revlimit Punk

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006
Italy
You've got a faulty pair i think. iPods earphones are comparable in quality to other earphones bundled with other digital audio players, you shouldn't hear any crackling.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Sometimes if iPod earbuds are handled roughly, the diaphragms will pop out of shape and get that lovely wax paper sound.

This is going to seem a little weird, but it often works: hold the metal screen to your mouth and gently blow into it. If it's still buzzy, gently suck in a bit to pop the diaphragm outward, and you may then have to blow in again to set it in. Don't use too much force, the parts won't take that much stress.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
I've head that if you take them to an apple store and complain they'll pretty much replace them no questions asked. But I've never tried this, so don't hold me to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.