iPod Headphones - Sound Issue!

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by Alcazarized, Nov 20, 2007.

1. macrumors newbie

Nov 20, 2007
    Yes, I know I should move on from Apple's none generous headphones, but I haven't!

Now, this may sound odd but whenever I actually put the headphones into my ear the sound becomes a lot quieter compared to when I put them just outside of the ear! And I mean by quite a distance!

Is it just my dodgy ears or is this common?

2. macrumors 6502

Oct 1, 2007
    Perhaps they just don't fit in your ears well. There is not a pare of earbuds on this planet that fit into my ears with having those fuzzy coverings on them to give them some grip. I have to buy those fuzzy things for all the earbuds I get (the exception being "in-ear" earbuds). Try getting some of those things and see if the fit (and consequentially, the sound) is better.
  3. macrumors G3

Jun 3, 2006
    One Nation Under Gordon
    Apple overcompensated with the redesign of the earphones last year. Many people complained about the old ones being too big, and I think they made the newer ones too small. I've seen people having them jammed in the ear almost like in-ears, but sideways. Do that, and the sound may well be muffled.

As the other guy points out, perhaps invest in a cheap (~$30/£30) pair of in-ear earphones.
  4. macrumors 6502

Oct 1, 2007
    What I meant was that you should try buying some of those foam coverings for standard earbuds. If that doesn't work then yes, try investing in some in-ear headphones.