ipod headphones

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Chubby Cox, May 4, 2004.

1. macrumors member

i noticed something today while walking to class and listening to my ipod, which i was carrying in the front pouch-pocket of my hooded sweathshirt- as i walked, there were short bursts of static in time with my movements. i checked and there's nothing wrong with the earbuds or the cable, and i haven't had this happen with any other brands of headphones. i guess the cable for the apple earbuds is shielded in such a way that the static electricity from my sweatshirt interferes with the audio signal- has anyone else had anything like this happen?

2. macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Are you using an iPod Mini?

3. macrumors 6502a

happened to me too!

Yes! Same thing happens. I can't wear a wool coat and listen to my iPod, the static is absolutely horrible!

4. macrumors 6502a

also

P.S. I have a 40GB regular iPod model. This isn't the iPod mini static issue that has been coming up recently. I think it might be the stock white headphones that Apple ships. You might want to try wearing a different set of headphones and see if it helps. My problem stopped when I stopped wearing such static-generating clothes while I was listening to my music.

Maybe next time you wash that sweatshirt, you should throw one of those anti-static sheets in the dryer. Might help!

5. macrumors 6502

i had this problem, and apple even took it in to look at it in case there was something seriously wrong with the wires or something. i felt like it was shocking me in the ears - i was getting chills. but no. I ended up buying a little crumpler pouch for it, and now i don't get that problem at all.

6. thread starter macrumors member

i have a 20 gig 3G ipod. i guess it's pretty obvious then that there's something wrong with the shielding of the wire to the earbuds- also, when i use the belt clip/case and am wearing the ipod on the outside, i don't have the problem

7. macrumors G4

Mord

don't use the ipod headphones they may look cool but it's like having a huge sign on you saying please mug me i have a $500 mp3 player on me

8. macrumors 6502a

They'd have to pry it from my dead hand!!

Which I guess they just might...