Ipod Help!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by kris8675309, Sep 19, 2003.

1. kris8675309 macrumors newbie

Okay, I'm a PC person, so don't hate me. I just got my 40GB iPod today, and my PC only has a 4GB hard drive. does this mean I can only use 1/10 of the space on my ipod? Or am I just being stupid.

any info would be helpful.

thanks!

2. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

if you plan on using it with musicmatch, then yes. i'd go here , scroll down the left side of the page, they have some links to alternative windows software. and when itunes for windows comes out, by all means, use that.

3. Macnasien macrumors newbie

Macnasien

Nope, go to the web site www.ipodlounge.com ,there you'll find alot of other Windows Ipod-Software for example Xplay or ephpod.

4. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

man, i already said the same thing and provided the same link...

5. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

well no and yes is the answer. you can use all your ipod, but you only have a 4gb hard drive to have the music on to begin with. now you can put cds on your computer, put them on the ipod, then delte them and continue. that would get really annoying really fast. honestly, if you can afford a 500 dollars music player, you should invest in a new hard drive, they are dirt cheap and anything will be better than a 4gb, i dont know how you get by.

iJon

6. Ramsos macrumors regular

Ramsos

4 gigs! what are you running a pentium 2 or amd-k6/2 it might be time for a serious upgrade. I'm not trying to dog you out but the last pc I saw with a drive that small was pretty dated.

7. kris8675309 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ipod help

I know, I know. I'm running off a laptop that my work gave me, and I'm just using it for school. I never thought I'd need any real disk space on this thing until the Ipod. I just bought a 40 GB external harddrive which should be getting here soon. Thanks for all your help so far...

Also, am I to understand that music match doesn't compress the songs as much as Itunes does? If this is true, should I wait until Itunes comes out for PC to download every last cd I own, or do you think the transfer process from musicmatch to Itunes will be relatively painless???

thanks so much,

kris

8. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

hold up, you are using a laptop your company gave you that came with a 4gb drive, are sure this thing even has firewire or usb 2.0. im thinking not but im hoping you will prove me wrong.

iJon

9. kris8675309 thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought a firewire adapter for using the Ipod, so I should be okay. thanks!!!

kris

10. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

Re: Ipod help

As far as I know, there is no compression except for inside the file. The media file is compressed into MP3 format. After that the file is just copied to the iPod, not compressed on the drive or anything like that. If you have 2.1 GB of music on your hard drive, then you will use 2.1 GB of disk space on the iPod after transferring it.