ipod help :( !

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by AmbitiousLemon, May 5, 2002.

1. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

well no one here has ever been able to help when i have a mac question but this should be an easy one (btw that g3powermac STILL isnt working but i found another with the same problems)

ive been wanting to buy an iPod for awhile, and i think the 10gig would be great because it would have room for my music and for data transfers. i have one concern... humidity. i asked this on
    another thread without much response, but im hoping someone can help. the humidity in the tropics seems to fry cheap electronics rather quickly. some walkmen work great while others die after a few days of use.

we typically keep all sensitive electronics in the air conditioned (and thus arid) room, but i would like to carry music with me around the island/s.

seems like with the international atmosphere here at macrumors we would have someone who lives in the tropics somewhere who could help.

id hate to pay $500 for something that would break after a day or two of use.

2. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Re: ipod help :( !

I know how you feel buddy. I guess that's the way it goes when you know a lot about Macs... you only ever ask really hard questions.

That said, I can't help with your problem :(

I can, however, say that the iPod is not a cheap piece of electronics. I can also tell you that if it dies within 3 months, you won't need to worry about it - just take it back.

I would also like to say that I hope you get an iPod and it breaks. Because I hate you for living in the tropics! :p That would be sweet... :)

3. AmbitiousLemon thread starter Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

Re: Re: ipod help :( !

unfortunately that wont be an option as i want to buy now and wont get out to polynesia until august.

:) it sure would, but i only work here. but i do suggest finding time to spend a few months in tahiti and the surrounding islands at least once in your life.

4. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Re: Re: Re: ipod help :( !

I'm going to Fiji in June... does that count?

LOVE your new avatar! What a ripper! :D

[Edit:
    WTF? It was a dancing chicken, then I hit reload and now it's a shamrock?]

5. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Re: Re: Re: Re: ipod help :( !

The dancing chicken...I thought it was a lemon with wings on legs and a face..is that what it's meant to be?

6. resm macrumors 6502

iPod and Tropical Countries

don't worry !

I live in Singapore with a humidity of an average of 80-90 % the whole year and an average temp. of 30 C.

I purchased my iPod last christmas (and a friend of mine too) and we have not experienced any problems so far.
    I use it on my way to work, shopping around and it also went to Australia on my holiday.

That baby is still fresh and healthy :)

7. AmbitiousLemon thread starter Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

Re: iPod and Tropical Countries

:) thank you resm. thats is indeed very good to hear.

8. resm macrumors 6502

you are welcome

just remember to remove your iPod before you jump in to a swimming pool.
    that would be pushing the warranty a bit to far !

9. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

hey AmbitiousLemon, all you had to do was go to the iPod site!

http://www.apple.com/ipod/specs.html

and go down to Environmental Requirements.. it says "Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing".... so there... it should work well in the tropics too.

sometimes what you think is hard to find... is right in front of your eyes :p

irmongoose

10. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I guess i shouldn't get one, here in Saudi Arabia, the temps routinely get to 40-50 C in the summer @ 100% relative humidity. Though my friends have discmans, and they've never failed. Come to think of it i've used my ibook @ 100% humidity, for about 1/2 an hour.

11. AmbitiousLemon thread starter Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

those specs dont really mean anything to me. ive seen plenty of machines with similiar specs die within a couple days. usually some short on one of the boards caused by high heat/humidity. i knew the specs i wanted the real world experience that resm was kind enough to offer. and as w-_-w said those specs arent very impressive for many places. i was hoping when i first saw the specs that apple was underestimating like they typically do (imac bus, airport range, etc), but i wasnt sure if they would go as far as to underestimate their operating conditions.

12. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

My girlfriend has an iPod with no problems. Here it is hitting 90 F with 95-97% humidity quite often.

The subtropics are great, but oh, for a tropical BREEZE!