iPod Hi Fi

Discussion in 'iPod' started by iGary, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Guest

iGary

I was in the Annapolis Apple Store today picking up a Mighty Mouse, and decided to play around with the iPod Hi Fi.

First one had a blown out speaker.

Second one the volume control wouldn't work.

Guess I won't be buying one of those.

Oh, and thet have them screwed down to the table so you can't lift them (didn't use mormal cable alarms like on iPods). :rolleyes:

2. Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

That's sad..

I was under the impression that this would have built in circuitry to prevent blowing of speakers.. unless someone poked a hole in one of them, or something else non cool like that.

It is a shame, but for the price, I cannot justify one of them anyway. That is especially true when I can buy Klipsch powered speakers for much cheaper, and I assume that they will sound just as good.

3. macrumors G3

puckhead193

i was at the apple store in walt witman and it wasn't nailed down... but i must say, that thing is freakin' heavy...

4. macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

I'm still waiting for my review unit to arrive, and the review is due soon :rolleyes:

5. macrumors 68040

Kingsly

On the contrary, I was in the Apple Store Beverly Center and they had a HiFi on display w/ an iPod docked and it was blasting music that filled every nook and cranny of the store and sounded amazing wherever I stood. wow.
    I say Bose has a run for its money.

6. macrumors regular

Hi-Fi sounded great when I saw/heared it at a store in PA. The unit is seemed well built, but I didn't try to blow out a speaker!

7. macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

So it seems you caved in and replaced your Mighty Mouse ;)

I was at a local Apple Store and I thought that it was very nice. If I didn't have my BOSE SD I would most likely purchase the "Hi-Fi". The store I was at had the Hi-Fi loose so I got to lift up the thing. IMHO I think it's heavy but not heavy enough to restrict it's portability.

8. macrumors regular

I still don't see the point of this thing.
    Right now I am using an Onkyo dock to connect the iPod to my Onkyo stereo (I forgot which model it is, but it is one of those small shelf units).
    I have full iPod contol with a remote, the sound is excellent, the system has separate speakers for a real stereo base, it also plays CDs and radio - and, guess what - it cost me almost the same (give or take $50) as the iPod HiFi would have cost me. Plus, the speakers are upgradeable!;)
    There is no way I would buy the iPod HiFi.
    A favorite feature of mine on my system is the motorized analog volume control... So 80's... :)