iPod Hi Fi

Discussion in 'iPod' started by iGary, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    I was in the Annapolis Apple Store today picking up a Mighty Mouse, and decided to play around with the iPod Hi Fi.

First one had a blown out speaker.

Second one the volume control wouldn't work.

Guess I won't be buying one of those.

Oh, and thet have them screwed down to the table so you can't lift them (didn't use mormal cable alarms like on iPods). :rolleyes:
  2. Moderator

Staff Member

Feb 1, 2005
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    That's sad..

I was under the impression that this would have built in circuitry to prevent blowing of speakers.. unless someone poked a hole in one of them, or something else non cool like that.

It is a shame, but for the price, I cannot justify one of them anyway. That is especially true when I can buy Klipsch powered speakers for much cheaper, and I assume that they will sound just as good.
  3. macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
    i was at the apple store in walt witman and it wasn't nailed down... but i must say, that thing is freakin' heavy...
  4. macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

Nov 24, 2005
    New Zealand
    I'm still waiting for my review unit to arrive, and the review is due soon :rolleyes:
  5. macrumors 68040

On the contrary, I was in the Apple Store Beverly Center and they had a HiFi on display w/ an iPod docked and it was blasting music that filled every nook and cranny of the store and sounded amazing wherever I stood. wow.
    I say Bose has a run for its money.
  6. macrumors regular

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    Hi-Fi sounded great when I saw/heared it at a store in PA. The unit is seemed well built, but I didn't try to blow out a speaker!
  7. macrumors 65816

Dec 23, 2004
    Charleston, IL
    So it seems you caved in and replaced your Mighty Mouse ;)

I was at a local Apple Store and I thought that it was very nice. If I didn't have my BOSE SD I would most likely purchase the "Hi-Fi". The store I was at had the Hi-Fi loose so I got to lift up the thing. IMHO I think it's heavy but not heavy enough to restrict it's portability.
  8. macrumors regular

Mar 14, 2006
    Washington, DC
    I still don't see the point of this thing.
    Right now I am using an Onkyo dock to connect the iPod to my Onkyo stereo (I forgot which model it is, but it is one of those small shelf units).
    I have full iPod contol with a remote, the sound is excellent, the system has separate speakers for a real stereo base, it also plays CDs and radio - and, guess what - it cost me almost the same (give or take $50) as the iPod HiFi would have cost me. Plus, the speakers are upgradeable!;)
    There is no way I would buy the iPod HiFi.
    A favorite feature of mine on my system is the motorized analog volume control... So 80's... :)