iPod HiFi as replacement speakers?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by amacgenius, Oct 9, 2006.

1. amacgenius macrumors 68000

amacgenius

I was in both the Apple Store (briefly) and then went over to the Best Buy across the hall, and I messed around with an iPod HiFi - they have great sound, and are semi-compact. So this arises a question for me:

I currently have my MacBook hooked up to an almost 2 year old pair of used Soundsticks II, and I love them to death but I think the HiFi would do a better job for me, and I don't have an iPod - so would I be able to use them as a straight speaker system (via audio in) with my MacBook or are they ONLY iPod speakers, etc?

2. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

The Hifi has an auxillery in on the back, which means you via a minijack cable would be able to connect as a normal speaker. I can highly recommend this. Frind of mine got it. Pretty and perfect.:D

3. amacgenius thread starter macrumors 68000

amacgenius

So I'll need to buy some kind of adapter if I'm reading that right, correct?

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

No, just a standard 3.5mm minijack cable. Looks like the plug on the end of a headphone cable on both ends. No adapter required.

5. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

No, just a simple jack cable. They're like $4.

It will be like the cable that goes from your soundsticks to your MacBook.;)

6. amacgenius thread starter macrumors 68000

amacgenius

7. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

i think the hi-fi sounds good on its own. and yes, it can also be hooked up to any audio source through the standard 3.5mm headphone jack. and i also believe the macbook has optical out and the hi-fi has optical in (both trough the same jack, but it requires a special optical cable which is a little more expensive than the analog cable) either way you will get good sound.

the only thing that would bother me is the placement of the speakers. you cant seperate the left and right chanels of the iPod hi-fi. which, when in a stand alone mode doesnt really matter, but if you hook up your computer and want one speaker on each side to give the true 'stereo' experience, then youre kinda stuck. but that might not be a concern of yours, only mine, cause i am picky!!!

here is the analog version by belkin

for optical (and like $30 extra) you need this cable and this adapter i couldnt find a single cable that goes from minijack optical to minjack optical, though i might not be looking hard enough

8. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

Here's an optical audio cable. It will give you excellent sound with the Hif. $30.

9. JakeN488 macrumors member