Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agentkow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
So we heard about all the new features the iPod will have when being used with the HiFi (full screen album artwork with black, bass & treble controls, etc.), but it wasn't made clear if these are features that:

A) Are only available when using the iPod HiFi
B) Will be avilable as a software download to update the existing iPod software
C) Will be avilable to all iPods
D) Are available on iPods already using the current software version but are hidden until now

Did anyone get a better sense of how this would all work out?

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
agentkow said:
So we heard about all the new features the iPod will have when being used with the HiFi (full screen album artwork with black, bass & treble controls, etc.), but it wasn't made clear if these are features that:

A) Are only available when using the iPod HiFi
B) Will be avilable as a software download to update the existing iPod software
C) Will be avilable to all iPods
D) Are available on iPods already using the current software version but are hidden until now

Did anyone get a better sense of how this would all work out?

No one knows what the answer to A is, but B is correct, and C is correct if the statement is changed "to all iPods with a dock connector."

agentkow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
RBMaraman said:
No one knows what the answer to A is, but B is correct, and C is correct if the statement is changed "to all iPods with a dock connector."

That's good to know, so we should still be awaiting the iPod software update as well as the FrontRow update for iTunes and iPhoto Bonjour sharing...

I was worried because, having a 3G iPod, the full screen artwork wouldn't affect me, and they don't seem to update the software for this old iPod too often!

agentkow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
So what did Steve mean by "It's already out", or was that even Steve who said that (it's a little hard to tell from the coverage).

"It has a sealed resin enclosure that doesn't vibrate. ... one of the things we've done is put a speaker option in the iPod menu. Update's already out, you can set the tone control, boost the treble or the bass."

emutree

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2005
Canada
On the Mac mini Front Row page it notes that video streaming requires iTunes 6.0.4. Current version is 6.0.3. Engadget (or iLounge maybe) also said that they heard the iPod speaker features were said to be coming in a firmware update. So it looks like we do have some updates to await.
I'm hopeful the iPod update fixes the video playback bug with 60GBs.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
For me, the biggest announcement that apple made is that there is an iPod firmware update comming out!

I'm waiting for the update so my nano doesn't always get stuck on the rating screen, and the menu button works like it did in days of yore.

agentkow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
Aw crap...from iLounge:

"Apple today released iTunes 6.0.4, which “addresses stability and performance issues related to Front Row,” according to the brief release notes. Front Row is Apple’s Mac-only home media software that offers a slick interface for listening to music, viewing photos and watching videos.

It should also be pointed out that there is no “new” iPod software update for use with Apple’s new iPod Hi-Fi speaker system. Apple CEO Steve Jobs mentioned yesterday that an iPod update was required to take full advantage of the Hi-Fi’s features, but he was only referring to iPod Software 1.1 for the fifth-generation iPod and iPod nano, which was included in January’s iPod Updater 2006-01-10."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.