Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
I think it would be cool if Apple dropped the front menu on the iPod and used the front row interface.

Any thoughts?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
imacintel said:
I think it would be cool if Apple dropped the front menu on the iPod and used the front row interface.

Any thoughts?

Yep, massively cool, especially with a widescreen iPod.

ipodcentral112

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2006
max_altitude said:
Could work - perhaps not quite as practical though in terms of accessing options and settings.
It may not be as practical but it would be really cool looking! :D

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
Having it as an option would be cool, but competely replacing the standard menus would piss off a few people. Also, using Front Row with all it's animations and everything would mean that your iPod's actually available drive space would be even less, as I assume the Front Row interface would take up more space. Good idea though, I wouldn't mind having an iPod with that. :)

Dan.

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
It would be cool. Would be good to at least make the menus look "front row" (i.e. white on black with shiny effects)

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
dansgil said:
Why bother using a new interface? The current one is perfect, IMO.

As much as the current one works great, it is getting very stale to me. I would like to see a fresh update to the look, maybe a little flashy, but not too much added.

I really don't know what it needs, I just know I would like some change, someting to get me excited and intriged to try out.

dansgil

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2005
Vancouver, BC
wwooden said:
As much as the current one works great, it is getting very stale to me. I would like to see a fresh update to the look, maybe a little flashy, but not too much added.

I really don't know what it needs, I just know I would like some change, someting to get me excited and intriged to try out.

I agree, as long as the change isn't completely different, i.e. switch to a Front Row like interface, I wouldn't mind a subtle change.

Maybe some 3D effects?

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
I would be totally fine with a Front Row interface if Apple could pull it off without killing the battery. I just want to listen to my music on the go.

wbread5

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2006
Beaverland Hills, OR
meh

The iPod is marketed mainly on its ease of use, and many buyers don't have a Mac and have never seen one. Buyers wouldn't go for it.. Though personally, I'd like it

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
I think that front row on upcoming iPods would be really cool imacintel. :)

yorkslad said:
I think Front Row will become the new interface on the long awaited true video ipod, its not just a coincidence it works like the current ipod interface!!

See this link

http://gallery.ilounge.com/ipod/albums/userpics/mobile_front_row2.png

How gorgeous does that look :)

I want one! :D

mobile_front_row2.png

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
when i thought of front row on the iPod, i thought of touching the icon and spinning it around, instead of having a clickwheel beside it. Using Front Row may also mean you can integrate an infrared reciever for use with the Apple Remote!

great concept, but i worry about how over-the-top it is, and how it will affect workflow. It might slow things down too much.

If i had the money, i would buy one.

grockk

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2006
dansgil said:
Why bother using a new interface? The current one is perfect, IMO.

Didn't they just license the menu system from Creative in the $100 million dollar settlement?

yorkslad

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
grockk said:
Didn't they just license the menu system from Creative in the $100 million dollar settlement?

Once you get past initial front display, Front Rows menu system is similar to current ipods, just more stylised (which is what apple does best!) ;) so the creative thing would still apply. Makes you think doesn't it!

yorkslad

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
CEAbiscuit said:
If the new iPod looks anything close to that, my 3G is going in the drawer to be forgotten.

If only APPLE read these forums ;) How cool would if be to scroll through album artwork or song titles a la front row style too...mmmm good job Apple are thinking more graphically with Core Animation.

wbread5

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2006
Beaverland Hills, OR
Creative

The Creative lawsuit had nothing outwardly to do with new products on Apple's end, it was just to license their current use of the iPod menu system.. a.k.a. not necessarily a new one.

yorkslad said:
If only APPLE read these forums ;)

It's a small world, my friend. They do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.