ipod imac g3

Discussion in 'iPod' started by vancejohns, Nov 27, 2006.

1. vancejohns macrumors newbie

Nov 27, 2006
    I have an iMac G3 with firewire and I'm cosidering buying the new 80gb ipod. I understand that firewire is no longer supported and that USB 1.x takes forever to sync. However, my iTunes library is on an external harddrive and I'm thinking that I could do my initial sync using my son's PowerBook g4. He has iTunes on his g4 as well could I get his iTunes to point at my library on the external drive instead of his on the internal drive?
  2. Finnxeon macrumors regular

Aug 20, 2006
    yes, kinda, just make a playlist of just your music on your sons g4, and when you are setting up your ipod, have it only sync to that one playlist.... then the majority of your songs would be on your ipod and i see where you are coming from....cuz loading a few songs over usb 1.0 on your imac isn't bad...but loading 2000 songs over usb 1.0 is scary lol

hope that helped a little
  3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

May 28, 2005
    I would just let it sync overnight... I think it would be easier.
  4. vancejohns thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 27, 2006
    Thanks for the tips

I'll try syncing overnight first to see just how slow it is using USB 1.x. I was afraid it's take days vs hours.

5. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

Mar 22, 2006
    My mum (mom if you are American :)) uses an iMac G3 too, but for some reason we can't install OSX.4 (Tiger) on it, so i was wondering if you have, because without Tiger, you won't be able to use your iPod.
  6. vancejohns thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 27, 2006
    I've got OS X 3.9 (Panther) installed. I didn't think that I needed Tiger to use the iPod. I've got version 6 of iTunes with about 18,500 songs in it. I've been getting by without an iPod ... MP3 disk player in car & portable MP3/CD player. My G3 is a 450 MHz Ruby upgraded to 256 m of memory & an 80gb internal drive. I also had to add a 250gb firewire external drive once my music collection out grew the 80gb. I really don't need a new mac yet since this one does everything that I need quite well. I sure wish Apple hadn't dropped Firewire from the iPod.