iPod in car: What is your method?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by manosaurus, Dec 9, 2006.

1. manosaurus macrumors 6502

manosaurus

I am debating on whether getting a new CD changer with a line-in input or getting one of those third party gadgets that charge the iPod while using the cars radio signal to play the iPod music.

What do you use?

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

3. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

I use an old school iTrip.

[​IMG]

Sound sucks, but bad sounding good music is generally better than pop-pop radio.

Talk radio, on the other hand, rocks.

4. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Honestly, radio transmission should be your LAST option. Despite their prevalance they are very unreliable and have quite shoddy performance. If you have the funds to get a new player do it. Also, many companies now offer products where you can buy a line in imput that will allow you to hardwire your iPod to your car stereo without buying an actual new stereo. I'm not quite sure who sells this but i'll post back if i find some (i believe it's more money than a 3rd party radio transmitter but cheaper than a new deck)

To answer your question, in my dad's car there is a line in provided that i connect to via mini-stereo cable (Honda Element), my step-dad's car via Tape Deck (Mazda Miata), and my mom's via Scosche FM transmitter (Honda Civic, only using this because it was cheaper than hardwiring/ the car doesn't have a tape deck/the car's leased :eek: )

5. backsidetailsli macrumors 65816

backsidetailsli

http://ca.kensington.com/html/11650.html
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    best one to use if your going the transmitter way. i have it and its great! ive tried pretty much the rest. actually, i would buy one, test it in the parking lot and if it waas garbage quality i exchanged right away :cool:

6. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i hard-wired mine to my stock cd player in my truck. i bought a cable for about $80, and plugged it into the back of the stereo. sounds great.

you have to have a cd changer port for it to work

7. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I use that, only the LCD model. I wish I had a tape player so I could just use a cassette adapter. :(

8. manosaurus thread starter macrumors 6502

manosaurus

Thanks for all the swift replies!!!

When you two are talking about hard wiring do you mean that a connection cable would be attached to the back of he CD player (behind the chassis) and a cable with an eighth inch connection would be hanging out somewhere in the interior of the car to which I could connect the iPod?

9. TJIrwin macrumors member

I have a wondeful little 'black box' from JVC which has a dock attatchment allowing me to charge the iPod and control it from the head unit. Very cool. Cost about £50. Highly recommended, if only to keep the iPod charged up.

10. manosaurus thread starter macrumors 6502

manosaurus

Have a link to that device? I can't seem to find it.

11. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well there are different cables, but mine is a dock connector. so it charges while you are playing, and the sound is better

12. TJIrwin macrumors member

13. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Just a simple auxilary input cable.

Hated the FM transmitters I tried and no cassette deck otherwise I would have opted for that route.

14. checkflag macrumors member

checkflag

Do it right the first time..

If you can afford it, get the alpine 9857. Ipod plugs directly in, and the HU controls it, so ipod can be hidden in glovebox. This is the best way.

15. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

I'll second the JVC car system - it's just a little cable sticking out into the dash (that's how I installed mine), and all the iPod information (including the whole menu system!) appears and is controllable via the head unit. Also it charges the iPod whilst on and for 20mins after the engine is switched off.

I paid £37 for mine, brand new.

AppleMatt
    edit: You need a 2006 head unit for full control, earlier ones have more limited control.

16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

hooked up through the AUX jack on my cd deck. sounds great. :D

17. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

I'm still using a Dension dock kit, been pretty happy with it.

18. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

I use a tape adapter though I wouldn't recommend the one I bought (see below). It makes a clicking sound because of the gears that can sometimes over power the music.

[​IMG]

19. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I have some unamplified speakers with a "headphone" plug on the end, so I just plug them in directly and let the iPod handle everything.

20. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

I've also used the old school iTrip. Worked great for me since I live/travel in a rural area and didn't get any interference from other FM stations. My latest company car has a AUX jack and I use that now.

21. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

Kensington FM Transmitter. Love it, especially the 3 preset buttons, since I live in a semi-metro area and make trips to Toronto often.

Attached Files:

22. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

my dad uses my old ipod in his volkswagen jetta. It has a buitl in iPod adapter and treats it like a cd (with a few hundred tracks)

23. todd2000 macrumors 68000

What kind of car do you have? If it's relatively new you should be able to find an AUX adapter here http://www.logjamelectronics.com/auxinpconv.html, this just plugs into the CD changer port on the back of your factory radio, and gives you a 1/8" connection. Then get yourself a one of these http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=149006, and your done. You just plug the Belkin Adapter into your cigarette lighter, plug the Input of your AUX adapter into the Belkin, and connect it to the dock connector of your iPod. Thats how I did it with my last car. I replaced the stereo in this car, but only because I added Sirius, a Sub, and an iPod, so it was easier.

24. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Newer iTrip (Dock Connector). Works much better than the old one I had before, but still suffers from some static, especially since I'm in a very saturated radio area. It's hard to get a good signal, but it sounds good when I do.

jW

25. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

i don't have a car, i'm 13. my dad's car had an option to have ipod intergration. he controls it through the forward and back buttons origonally for the cd changer.