iPod in Dock ---> iTunes Nothing

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Freg3000, Nov 30, 2003.

1. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Here is the problem. I got an iPod about 2 months ago. Everything was great. Suddenly, in Jaguar, when I pop the iPod into the dock, the "Do Not Disconnect" warning appears, and nothing happens on the computer. iTunes does not launch, and no syncing takes place. I left it alone, know that I'd be updating to Panther soon.

Went to 10.3, installed all my stuff, same thing. Nothing happens. Tried going around the dock, and plugging in directly with the connector to the iPod, no luck. Trying to manually open iTunes would cause the system to hang-forcing a restart.

So I clean installed everything. Again. After all the software updates, I popped in the iPod, and it worked. Took it out, did it again.....nada. And as I have gotten back to putting all the stuff back on my computer, it still doesn't work. Meanwhile, the iPod sits there saying not to disconnect it, but I have little choice.

I am very frustrated. I was actually quite amazed at the simplicity of the synchronization when I first got it, and I have had a lot of trouble since.

Please help me.

2. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Probably one of three things. Or your dock is messed up/broken/lose wire or your Ipod or Mac... Try it with another dock of someone you know and ofcourse someone elses Mac, then try it with that cable if it works on your Mac. Then you should know which device the problem lies!

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Or you can create a new user on your machine to see if the iPod appears on the Desktop. It will help you narrow the field to a problem with your user or with CPU/cable/dock/iPod.