iPod in-ear headphones-Worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Rend It, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Rend It macrumors 6502

Hi, a while ago my dog got a hold of my iPod earbuds and put a small dent in one of them. Recently, the one with dent has been sounding really garbled. So, I need a replacement. Evidently, you can't buy just the earbuds, but you have to buy earbuds+remote for $39. So since the in-ear phones cost the same, should I just get those. Or, is there an even better set of earbuds made by someone besides Apple?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

Depends...

It depends on what exactly you are after. Most consumers think the ipod earbuds are ok, although the reviews aren't stellar in general. You basically get what you pay for, and I the ipod buds are basically a $20 pair of plugs. If you don't use your ipod that much and just like the occasional tune, or if you don't mind a lower quality sound, then the ipod buds should be ok. If you are an audiophile, or if you just listen to your ipod frequently and higher sound quality does make a difference to you, I would suggest some Shure earphones. If your just starting to look into higher quality options, I would suggest starting with the Shure E2c, which you can get at eCost.com for about $60.

3. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

Try doing a search in the Forums section. There was a very recent thread about this.

Anyway, I hear that the in ear headphones are loved by some and loathed by others. In the thread, they also recommended some other brands that are a little more expensive, but you miught want to try them out.

Best wishes,
    JOD8FY