iPod in Hard Disk Mode on Mac and PC

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Ludo, Feb 26, 2004.

1. macrumors newbie

Does anyone knows if an iPod can be used to exchange files between Mac and Windows as a portable hard drive?
    I have a Mac and would use iTunes on a Mac. But I also need to use my iPod as a PC-readable hard drive to exchange data on the move. Would that work with an iPod? At the moment I use a PC-formatted Zip Disk and it sucks.
    The other way to put it is: is it possible to PC-format the hard disk as a standard dos partition and still use the iPod with iTunes on a Mac?

Thanks in advance for your help

Ludo

2. TBR
    macrumors 6502

I've heard that you can format your iPod as a winPod and still use it on your mac as normal but you get a slower file transfer speed and you cannot boot your mac from the iPod.

I'm thinking of doing this myself at it would make it easier for me to carry around files as I don't know ANYONE who has a mac besides myself....

Been a Mac user since '96 and never known another mac user! (in the real world :)

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Good. I can buy an iPod now !

Thanks

Ludo

4. TBR
    macrumors 6502

Well thats what I heard.....I've not tried it myself.....

Is there anyone out there who has done this?

We both would appreciate nkowing this does work.

Oh Ludo, buy an iPod anyway :D

5. macrumors 68040

jxyama

iPod comes formatted for Mac by default (HFS). when it's plugged into a PC/windows, it gets reformatted into FAT. Macs can read FAT but windows cannot read HFS. (without 3rd party stuff...)

==> if you want to use iPod on both PC/windows and Mac as an ext. FW HD, use the iPod with PC first. if you use it on a Mac first, your iPod will need to be reformatted, thus wiping all of your songs away.

i do not know about booting OS X from a FAT formatted disk, but i wouldn't be surprised if it's not possible.

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

OK for connecting to a PC first to get the fat format, but will I be able to use it with iTunes on a Mac afterwards? without loosing the fat format?

7. TBR
    macrumors 6502

yes, it should work as normal.[

8. macrumors regular

Ipod as HD

Hi,
    I have both an iBook and a PeeCee, and I use my iPod with both. The trick is to format your iPod for use with your Windows. This formated the iPod with FAT. As has been pointed out, Mac OS X can read FAT.
    Since then, I have used my iPod mainly with my Mac, and it works fine. I can use iTunes for Mac with my iPod, and even use iSync to sync my contacts. The benefit of course is that I can also plug it into my PC and transfer music onto it, and of course, I can use it as a FW Drive on both OSes.
    So yeah - go for it. Just make sure that you format it for use with Windows, and you can have OS independant bliss.
    For the record, I hate using Windows, but having an iPod formatted for use with Windows is really useful if you wanna connect it up to your mate's PCs.

9. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip mate.

Ludo