Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lamina

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
How bad would it be for my iPod to leave it in my car in direct sunlight for about 8 hours?

Peyton

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
judging on your location, not too bad, but how hot was it? was it cold enough outside to off set it?

I think by far the worst thing to do is drop it, as I have done mine several times and now has demons in it. :rolleyes: :(

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Very.

Have you ever seen those displays at video rental stores of what happens to VHS tapes when you leave them in your car in the sun? Yeah...

Cars in direct sun can easily get over 140ºF...not good for delicate electronics.

dynetk

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2006
Sacramento, CA
I don't know about the area that you're in but bad enough leaving your ipod in your car in direct sunlight. Even worst is if sunlight can get to it people can see it. You're just asking to have your car broken into.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
70f degree weather, indirect sun, 40 gig ipod monochrome...4 hours, ipod was frozen dead. 2 days later it started working again out of no where.
That is so. cal. weather.

Spaceman Spiff

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2003
I've witnessed a car window explode from the heat inside, and I live in a not-so-warm part of the world. So I shudder to think what it could do to an iPod...

VinceScales

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2006
I run an iPod mini connected to an Alpine interface box connected to my head unit. As such, my iPod is in my glove box 99% of the time. The only time it leaves is to get synced up.

I live in Phoenix, Arizona.

For the unacquainted; it was 99 degrees yesterday and will only get worse.

No problems.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
Yeah, I'm in So. Arizona too and I've left my iPod in the glove box with no problems. I don't know about in direct sunlight, though, I think down here it would melt if I did that.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
An iPod in direct sunlight means an iPod in direct eyesight. I'd be more worried about someone breaking into the car to steal the iPod.

Regardless, do yourself a favor and put the iPod in your glove box when the car is parked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.