iPod..is it ok to leave plugged in to car power adapter

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by continuum, Sep 14, 2004.

1. continuum macrumors 6502

continuum

Is it ok to leave my iPod (turned off) plugged into the power adapter when the car is off? Also, is there any down side to turning the car on/off with the iPod connected to power adapter? Does it create a power surge that could be harmful?

2. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

If you have a quality, name brand charger, surges should be a nonissue. I really don't see a downside to leaving the iPod plugged in. Although, you should know that it can get very very hot in your car if the sun shines on it, and that would be bad for your iPod. Plus, iPods are very attractive to theives that may walk past your car.

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Almost every manufacturer of any car adapter will tell you not to leave anything plugged into the adapter while starting the car due to surges... and I believe them. Its a risk that I would not take if I were you.

4. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

If you have a decent car charger it probably has a fuse in it. The one I have from XtremeMac does. If there were a surge, it should blow the fuse, protecting your iPod. The site says:

5. continuum thread starter macrumors 6502

continuum

Thanks. I only leave it plugged in and in the car if I have to stop by an ATM or something like that. Anymore than a few minutes and my iPod comes with me. I live in the California Desert so I don't leave anything in the car that could be affected by heat...115 some days. I think I'll unplug it too...just to be safe. I bought the Belkin charger. It's pretty nice. Just ordered the Contour Design case a minute ago so I think I am completely accessorized. For now at least ;)