Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paolo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2001
The Moon
The iPod to me doesn't look at all like it's heading towards a PDA, Apple have lately been looking at entertainment with the iPod, so likely it'll become a small entertainment hub! Like storying movies on it that you can plug into your TV! Now that would be a huge step, just think all your home movies in your pocket!!!!!!

Just off the topic a bit, for Music editing ie (Fine tuning an already recorded song) What is the best cost effective software for this? Thanks

Paolo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2001
The Moon
Because

The Ipod is an entertainment device,
Apple can't compete with Palm etc.
They are way to advanced, apple needs to aim for a whole ne market. Plus the ipod hardware is already here, if they were to change it into a PDA then alot of people who just blew there cash for what is now considered completely obsolete (ie doesn't have a touch screen, when the new one would). would be very angry!
iPod is for Entertainment!!!

McFreggle

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2001
Dendermonde/Leuven, Belgium
Originally posted by TiMacLover
Did you know that a Newton can be a mp3 player also? Why couldn't a iPod turn into a PDA? Just a thought...

Because it totally isn't designed for that purpose.

I think even the adress book feature is too much for an iPod. I, for one, don't use it. I have my PDA for that.

k.

TiMacLover

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2001
Clovis, CA USA
Don't doubt sucess

In reality Palm and Apple has a load in common, when Apple had PDA's, Newtons they used Intel ARM Processors the same in all Palm PDA's, Palm competes with Microsoft and their Windows CE as Apple does with Mac OS X against Windows XP, Apple was going to buy Be until they bought NeXt then Palm bought Be, so I would not count the PDA market out, Sure Jobs said no more PDA's but when he said " The offical death of the CRT" was that true? No 3 months later a CRT eMac came out, Jobs said he would never work with Gates ever, well you saw Gates on screen about 3-4 years ago at a MacWorld, Jobs will talk grow and he will change from a a bow tie. tux to a green turtle neck sweater and tight jean, from a shaven man to a long bearded hippie mofo who rocks! Jobs is a great guy he will make you think you have seen everything then BAM!!! he hits you with something you could have never thought of. So don't doubt a Apple PDA.

Paolo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2001
The Moon
I'm not doubting a PDA

YOu miss read the entire subject.
The argument isn't about whether Apple will release a PDA or not. It's about whether the iPod will become iPDA!

TiMacLover

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2001
Clovis, CA USA
Sorry....

That I think is 50/50, I think Apple has intention to make it a PDA, but has drifted away, sorry!

Attachments

• rednecktreehouse.jpg
    rednecktreehouse.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 450

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Incorrect

Originally posted by TiMacLover
In reality Palm and Apple has a load in common, when Apple had PDA's, Newtons they used Intel ARM Processors the same in all Palm PDA's, Palm competes with Microsoft and their Windows CE as Apple does with Mac OS X against Windows XP, ...
Palm has never used Intel's StrongARM processors in their PDAs. They use Motorola's Dragonball processors. The next generation of Palm's will use Motorola's Dragonball processors that implement ARM architecture.

cryptochrome

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2002
Here's a crazy thought. The iPod is updated with:

1. An iBook style AV port that doubles as a headphone jack, to be used with adaptor cables
2. The hardware is pumped up to handle full-screen playback of MPEG-4 videos (perhaps fine-tuned for certain video and audio codecs).
3. The software is expanded to support autosynchronization and browsing and playback of videos (particularly but not limited to those created in iMovie), picture sets and slideshows made in iPhoto, and of course music and playlists from iTunes. Optionally a couple of video games meant for playback on the iPod and TV are thrown in for good measure (tetris), the os x addressbook auto-synchronizes data with the iPod as well, and text/pdf files in a particular folder are also mirrored.

Voila - your portable music library is now your portable media library. The only real question is the additional hardware to handle video decompression, and whether it can be made small and cheap enough for an iPod.

P.S. The limitations of the MP3 format have thus far prevented it, but with music in MPEG-4 format you could have a portable Kareoke studio. (Songs broken into music, backup singers, and lead singer audio tracks, with a timed text kareoke track). The Japanese would love it. Add a microphone or audio-in port for playthrough (throwing in audio recording while you're at it) and you'd be set. Heck, with one of those little FM broadcasters that plug in to the firewire port any boombox is an instant studio.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.