iPod Jeers: Van Halen Fell Silent On Top Of The World

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Oct 24, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

2. Moderator emeritus

Uh-huh.

3. macrumors 6502a

calyxman

Interesting take...

And the author is a Wharton student.

4. macrumors G4

That's right. People who will be climbing Everest any time soon shouldn't buy an iPod.

That should send AAPL tumbling :D

5. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

People also will be scrambling for plastic wine glasses, as the glass ones break too easily.

6. macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

7. macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Flash-in-the-pan? Huh?

Wouldn't a nano or shuffle be a more apt comparison here?

8. macrumors 68030

Analog Kid

Hey, thanks for finding that. I'm kind of surprised that the Post published that-- it reads like a TV ad.

9. ATD
    macrumors 6502a

WOW, a compete piece of unethical garbage backed by desperate company. It seems that the Washington Post is asleep at the wheel, unable to tell the difference between paid advertising and news.

10. macrumors 68030

nbs2

One small point to consider - this piece, however childish was to be the counterpoint to this, which as of my posting had not yet been read via MB...

11. macrumors 603

solvs

12. ATD
    macrumors 6502a

It's nice to see that Apple doesn't have to pay people to say good things about the iPod, unlike that "news" piece about the Creative player. After reading the comments to the anti-iPod piece (under the article) it appears that he didn't fool anyone. :D

13. macrumors regular

Just in case he reads this

Just in case the article's author reads this. I'm not willing to register at the WP just to post the reply.

Yup, that closed iPod that plays any MP3, AIFF or AAC file. Damed that proprietary MP3 format. I can rip any CD in to my iPod, buy tracks from eMusic or download them from many web sites. AS long as they aren't DRMEd with Windows Media Player they generally can be converted to work on my iPod.

The specs on the iPod specifically state the operating environment, 10,000ft is the high altitude I think. Hard disks require air to fly the read/write heads over the disk surface; no air - no flying. Damned Bernoulli. Perhaps the iPod Nano 8GB would have been a better choice with its solid state memory system.

The inflation adjusted price for the Sony Walkman is about $150 in todays dollars. Would you pay $150 for a tape player today? Talk about lack of functionality for the price! ( I think that's about 10 songs along with all the hiss and wow/flutter to go with it)

14. macrumors 6502a

Starflyer

Here's an email I sent to Mr. Mueller...

feel free to drop him a line...:D

[email removed upon request]

It's really hard to take your article serious considering that Creative is one of your sponsors. Why did you test it against a flash-based iPod like the Nano considering the Mu Vo is flash based?

"By comparison, iPods live in their own little world. They only work with custom cords and other special accessories. They only work with their own music format. Basically, the iPod perpetuates its own exclusive clique. It's no team player."

Audio formats supported: AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3 and 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF and WAV

http://www.apple.com/ipod/specs.html

Have you ever done a Google search for iPod accessories? Hardly it's own "LITTLE" world.

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=ipod+accessories&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

15. macrumors 68040

shamino

I wonder how Creative's hard drive based players survived the trip up Mt. Everest.

Wanna bet that they also ended up with crashed hard drives?

There's a reason Apple says that the maximum operating altitude is 10,000'. Apple also doesn't recommend that you drop it in a swimming pool, run over it with a car, or hit it with a sledgehammer. I can assure you that it will break if you do any of these as well.

16. macrumors 6502a

br0adband

My opinion: He needs to have an iPod embedded in one side of his skull to offset the lopside opinion he offers from the other side and restore balance to the Universe.

:D

bb

17. macrumors 68020

wmmk

hey guys, my mac mini sucks! it doesn't work with windows programs or when i'ts not plugged in. also, it crashedwhen i put in the shower to listen to internet radio. my dell mouse works when it's not plugged into AC power, though. wow, apple really stinks!;)