iPod language menu displayed at startup

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by hcuar, Jan 6, 2005.

1. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

Quick question... Occasionally at startup (as in twice) my 4G 20GB iPod displays the language menu... I select English and after that everything is normal. Has anyone ever seen this before? I've tried resetting it a couple of times, but everything worked properly. I store the iPod with the hold switch on.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

the only time that the language menu pops up for me is when i restore the ipod to factory settings.....perhaps your pod is resetting it self somehow, i would try a restore and then upload your songs again and see how it behaves

3. hcuar thread starter macrumors 65816

hcuar

Ok... I did as mentioned. When the iPod was done redownloading my songs... I ejected the iPod and the language menu appeared. I selected English and then started playing a song. I performed a reset and everything appeared ok. I then updated the main menu to contain "Artists".... I then did a reboot... The Artists selection was now gone from the main menu. Do reboots normally reset such settings???

I'm currently in diagnostic mode running a HD check... How long does that normally take? I might have to call Apple tonight.

edit: HD check turned out ok... Do I have an actual problem... or is this normal functionality? (Provided language settings don't start from cold boot anymore, I'm not sure if it will.) In addition, is there a way to shut down the iPod completely to test a cold boot?

4. hcuar thread starter macrumors 65816

hcuar

Ok... I guess I'll post what I've found out so far. I've been looking at iPodLounge. Apparently the lost settings thing is fairly common on the 4G iPods. People have a lot of problems coming out of deep sleep. I'm surprised I haven't seen more people post about this.