iPod Lawsuit Settled

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Ja Di ksw, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Apparently there was just a lawsuit settled where 1st-3rd gen iPod owners can get $ off a battery replacement, and extended warrenty. Check it out:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/06/02/tech/main699324.shtml

Edit: $50 Off of any Apple product (besides iTunes stuff, sorry, no 50 free songs) and warrenty extended to two years (if you have a receipt)

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

3. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

I want one and I don't. I want color, but not enough to buy it. This affects me since I own both a 1st and 3rd gen iPod :). Maybe I can get them both traded in for a color one, if they make color on normal iPods in the next line.

4. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

This lawsuit was brought about by stupid people who don't know how to properly charge/use their iPods. Do you think I complain when my iPod doesn't get EXACTLY the amount of battery life Apple states? No. When I replace my battery, I'll spend the $40 and install it myself, not be cheap and stupid like these people.

5. daustin macrumors member

what about me?

My 3G iPod was an "open-box" at Best Buy...do you think I'll still be up for the $50 coupon? I'm getting ready to buy a new desktop so I'm looking to save wherever I can!! I do still have my receipt because I bought the extended warranty through the store.

6. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I don't think the open box thing has anything to do with the deal because it was a suit against Apple itself not they bought it from. Look you can try and see what happens, but i'd be very surprised if they denied you because it was an open box sale.

My question (not that it applies to me, i have a 4G) is what about people who spent $$$ on replacement batteries from 3rd party sources like Newer Technologies. Do they still apply even though it isn't still the original battery? :confused:

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

In the defense of the people behind the tort, wasn't this lawsuit started back when Apple didn't even *have* a battery replacement program, and third-party batteries were also not yet readily available? I could imagine feeling SOL under those circumstances....

8. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

So wait even if I don't have a battery issue I just fill out a form and they give me a $50 coupon or a new iPod?

9. joemama macrumors 6502

I have a 1st gen, actually bought the first week it was out. If I find the receipt, am I eligible?

10. powermac_daddy macrumors 6502

powermac_daddy

i got the stuff first

Jobs hooked me up with tiger and 2.7 G5 in Jan...

if u want connections, drop me a line. Jobs was my bro in college.

11. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

From what I understand, yes to the $50, no to the warranty. The warranty was extended to two years, and that's well past.

12. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

lol, awesome. Yeah, hook me up with a pb G5 :rolleyes:

13. JustinEvil macrumors newbie

I've had my iPod mini since last october, and I don't even get 2 hours of battery life....

14. swissmann macrumors 6502a

swissmann

Batteries are fickle and will wear out. Getting money back because of it is nice for the consumer.

15. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I'm all game for the $50...I could use it towards a bt keyboard...I do think it was an unnecessary suit though.

16. aldo macrumors regular

Yes, pretty much. Certainly you'll get the coupon regardless, not sure about the new iPod.

This is good news for the consumer.

The fact is that Apple NEVER said anything about battery issues. While us technology people understand that batteries wear out, the majority don't, especially when you consider how zealous Apple is with its marketing.

So who's going to be the first to buy all the old iPod's on ebay for the $50?

17. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

Well not that this has anything to do with iPod batteries but I could go for some connections.. :rolleyes:

18. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Well first of all, Apple doesn't make a battery, and second of all, wouldn't they just be using the same batteries that every other player uses?

Does making it easily replaceable mean that the battery itself will be properly disposed of by every consumer?

I think that it's safe to say that Apple gets rid of the batteries properly?

19. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Wait.... Jobs went to college?

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmmm...BT keyboard...now there's a thought..... Hmmm...or maybe I can be "nice" to apple and buy a Quicktime Pro key and/or the MPEG2 decoder. :D

21. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I bought my iPod on June 6.
    The suit only applies to people who bought before June 1, 2004.
    Poo.

But it's still cool that Apple is doing this.
    Rock!

...but I don't see why people were so incredibly enraged because li-ion batteries don't last forever... I knew that going into it. I just recalibrate every month or so and I'm still rocking to 6+ hours one year later. :)

Maybe I got the magical lasts forever and ever lithium-ion battery.

:rolleyes:

22. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

so if i bought a 3rd gen ipod online in april 2004 i'm eligible to get a free $50 apple coupon? that's awesome if true. so it's completely independent of whether you've HAD a battery issue, just that you have an ipod of 1st 2nd or 3rd gen?
    edit: if you haven't had any issues you can get a new ipod instead of the $50?

23. supergod macrumors 6502

What most people seem to be missing is that this should be good for apple. It means that people with 1st, 2nd and 3rd generatin iPods are going to be more likely now to upgrade to a new iPod if their current one is slightly defective. I know I have seen a lot of problems in the "older" iPods, considering how new they are these sort of issues just show that there were some oversights take by Apple. Best way to correct any mistake is to say, "look, we understand what you're saying so we'll give you a deal on the next product you get". Win-win.

24. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I have an iPod that qualifies, but I don't use it (and I got AppleCare for it)...so I don't think I can take advantage of this settlement (since I have no need to replace my iPod's battery).

25. TrenchMouth macrumors 6502

my 3G ipod's battery is fine, but i will gladly put the $50 toward a new iBook, if they every spit them out... :rolleyes: