Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chameeeleon

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2004
Any Apple product like any product MADE by Apple, or any product at their stores? If the latter, Sims 2 just got a whole lot more affordable, and if the former it looks like I'll free up a USB port with a BT keyboard. Ohh, and can I pile it up with an edu discount? That'd make Motion 2 only $150 Cdn! Sweeeeet. Hey wait - wouldn't the discount be more when converted to Canadian $$? (According to Dashboard Converter - yes, it would be $62!)

Anyone else have anything to sue Apple over? Umm, let me think... Tiger's got some wierd bugs that weren't advertised. I'm sure we could score another $25 for that. Now if only Apple hadn't advertised that the iPod shuffle wasn't edible - I could've pretended to choke on one. That would be another $50, so altogether that's... $75? Just kidding, of course.

It seems kind of stupid that this went through (although I guess if you didn't understand Lithium batteries when you made the purchase, Apple really didn't spell it out for you).

Anyways, where is this sweet form for me to fill out? I'm not exactly pissed at Apple over the battery, but hey - I own a 3G and there's free discounts being offered!

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
powermac_daddy said:
Jobs hooked me up with tiger and 2.7 G5 in Jan...

if u want connections, drop me a line. Jobs was my bro in college.
Well not that this has anything to do with iPod batteries but I could go for some connections.. :rolleyes:

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
powermac_daddy said:
Jobs hooked me up with tiger and 2.7 G5 in Jan...

if u want connections, drop me a line. Jobs was my bro in college.
what school did you go to?

alexf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2004
Planet Earth
After reading that article I find it interesting that Apple has the guts to tout itself as an environmentally aware company and people actually believe it.

Just another big corporation...

amberashby

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2003
I have 2 iPods that qualify. Do you guys think I can combine the coupons for $100 off one item? I'm ready for a new iPod Photo.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
amberashby said:
I have 2 iPods that qualify. Do you guys think I can combine the coupons for $100 off one item?
We'll know when we see the form we have to fill out. They are e-mailing known customers already but Apple will also announce the settlement in ads in USA Today and Parade Magazine this month so you won't have to be an already-registered owner.

chameeeleon

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2004
The claim form:
http://www.appleipodsettlement.com/
It's all rather complicated. I guess I was just hoping Apple would just e-mail me, as a registered 3G user, with a fun "$50 Voucher" tomorrow. Like they're "$40 off a purchase of $400 or more" mailings, etc. Unrealistic, I know.

illumin8

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2003
East Coast, US
Pismo said:
This lawsuit was brought about by stupid people who don't know how to properly charge/use their iPods. Do you think I complain when my iPod doesn't get EXACTLY the amount of battery life Apple states? No. When I replace my battery, I'll spend the $40 and install it myself, not be cheap and stupid like these people.

You're misinformed. The lawsuit clearly states that not only did Apple tell consumers that they couldn't replace the battery on their own and that they needed to buy a brand new iPod, they also made it difficult for users to replace it on their own, using glue and other means to make it harder.

This case is pretty clear-cut, but it's nice to see all of you and your fellow Apple apologists are ready to discredit it.

Yeah, and for the record, I own a 15" PowerBook AND a 3G iPod.... and I paid a whopping $538.92 for it since I bought it directly from Apple the day it was released and paid sales tax on it.

I might enjoy using Apple products and think they're a great company for the most part, but I'm also not so blinded by my love of all things Apple to not be able to admit that yeah, they make mistakes sometimes.

People here should grow up a little bit and realize that nobody in this world is all good or all evil. There are many shades of gray, and this applies to corporations as well as people.

joeee

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2005
New York
replaced a battery

hey, i have a 3G ipod and i JUST replaced the battery myself in april...scratched up the side of the case pretty bad too....so, does that void getting a new ipod, or even an extended warranty? i'd much prefer a new ipod over 50 bucks...

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
I have a green iPod mini purchased the week they came out, and battery life has recently turned to ass. Does it qualify at all, or is it strictly for regular iPods?

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
chameeeleon said:
The claim form:
http://www.appleipodsettlement.com/
It's all rather complicated. I guess I was just hoping Apple would just e-mail me, as a registered 3G user, with a fun "$50 Voucher" tomorrow. Like they're "$40 off a purchase of $400 or more" mailings, etc. Unrealistic, I know.

are you sure? That site doesn't look very legit.

calyxman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2005
illumin8 said:
You're misinformed. The lawsuit clearly states that not only did Apple tell consumers that they couldn't replace the battery on their own and that they needed to buy a brand new iPod, they also made it difficult for users to replace it on their own, using glue and other means to make it harder.

This case is pretty clear-cut, but it's nice to see all of you and your fellow Apple apologists are ready to discredit it.

Yeah, and for the record, I own a 15" PowerBook AND a 3G iPod.... and I paid a whopping $538.92 for it since I bought it directly from Apple the day it was released and paid sales tax on it.

I might enjoy using Apple products and think they're a great company for the most part, but I'm also not so blinded by my love of all things Apple to not be able to admit that yeah, they make mistakes sometimes.

People here should grow up a little bit and realize that nobody in this world is all good or all evil. There are many shades of gray, and this applies to corporations as well as people.

Uh-oh, better be careful. You can stir a hornets nest around this place saying that. :D

AdamZ

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2004
Bravo, Bravo, Bravo

I must say that once in awhile there is just a little bit of justice. My 1st gen iPod still works great with the exception of the battery which fell to under 4 hours on random, with no backlight, within 4 months of purchase. I just got used to it. Got my reciept right here and will me mailing off my claim form. I'll use the rebate toward a shuffle iThink. I remember when all this started. Many of us early adopters of the iPod had batteries fail within a year or so and had no way to replace them. Apple came out with the Battery Replacement Program for $99, and we were like, WTF we just got these things. https://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/11/20031114023430.shtml

so weird. My iPod original 5gb bought in 2001 has the original battery and its lasts as long as it did in the begining. I dot use it everyday, but i use it often. I still think some people donnot turn off their iPod properly. I still laugh about all the people that felt the need to test their battery life over and over again by putting the iPod on play and seeing how long it lasts just to test it (not listening to it the whole time, just testing it). hehe..

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
I have a 3G from April 2004 and I am still 6+ hours as well. I'm not sure what these people are doing to them to make them go south so bad, but I'm definitely using it pretty hard so...

Everything is falling together for a PB purchase now:
  1. Slim chance of an update at WWDC (doesn't matter either way, PBs still kick a)
  2. $100 edu rebate for another 3 weeks or so
  3. A $50 coupon. Just hope it comes sooner than later or I can't use it with the rebate :(

Either way, good for Apple. Supply-side economics is a sure fire way to generate revenue for them right now.

joshua_msu

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2004
chicago (formerly detroit)
illumin8 said:

You are right.
Lemmings.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
amberashby said:
I have 2 iPods that qualify. Do you guys think I can combine the coupons for $100 off one item? I'm ready for a new iPod Photo.
You are in luck.

"Please remember that you may claim only one settlement benefit per iPod. If you own more than one iPod, and wish to make claims for multiple iPods, you must fill out a separate Claim Form for each iPod that you own."

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
illumin8 said:

Regardless of the merits, the thing that makes me the happiest is that the settlement actually gives something to the customers. The warranty is extended (alhtough how many 1G-3G ipods aren't already 2 years old) and $50 coupon on anything is pretty good (unlike, say $10 off of a $100 purchase).

d.perel

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2005
My iPod mini got less than 15 min of battery life after a half year, so I sold it on ebay for about $30 less than I paid for it. I don't think that $50 would have covered the $99 service fee for the iPod if I had kept it

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
ColoJohnBoy said:
I have a green iPod mini purchased the week they came out, and battery life has recently turned to ass. Does it qualify at all, or is it strictly for regular iPods?
No. Minis came out before the deadline for this settlement, but the terms specify only the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generation white iPod models.

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
Well I would try and claim my $50, but there's no way in hell I still have my receipt from September 2003. Lame. Why do they need the serial number AND the receipt? If I put in a valid serial number, how could I possibly be frauding them?

joshua_msu

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2004
chicago (formerly detroit)
Gherkin said:
Well I would try and claim my $50, but there's no way in hell I still have my receipt from September 2003. Lame. Why do they need the serial number AND the receipt? If I put in a valid serial number, how could I possibly be frauding them?

Exactly. Many people dont save receipts, especially for a low ticket titem as old as this. Oh well, no credit for me.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Gherkin said:
Because they don't want to (haven't agreed to) give money to people who bought used iPods from somebody other than them. They want proof that you are the original purchaser.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
So what is the estimated time to actually get the voucher in hand? I really need a new iPod, and with this I can actually afford one. It's nice to see that the consumer actually gets a decent deal, and it really isn't to bad for Apple. (I mean how much can you get from Apple for under $50? You're going to spend something there, and probably will be happy with it, and hence likely buy from them again).

Anyways, are we gonna have to wait for half a year or something stupid like that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.