iPod Line: My Predictions

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by StarbucksSam, Dec 7, 2004.

1. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

I will very VERY rarely predict things related to computing and new releases, becuase I very VERY rarely end up being right, but I think I deserve a fair shot at the new iPod line. I do believe this will occur at MWSF, but there are no guarantees... we tend to have those February announcements that seem like afterthoughts.

My thoughts on iPod line:

iPod will still be available in 20 GB and 40 GB at 299/399, but I'm not going to rule out the POSSIBLE release of a 60 GB at 499. I do NOT see price drops happening on the regular iPods, or color screens.

iPod Mini will still be available, but I have two possible scenarios. It will either drop in price to $199 and remain at 4 GB or stay at the current price and evolve into a 6 to 7 GB drive.

iPod Photo will remain the same with no changes.

iPod FLASH model that is rumored - I DO believe this is going to happen, but I think some of the numbers being tossed around like $199 are a bit over the top. I'm seeing a 1GB (Apple just won't go lower than that, they DO have dignity) iPod Dinky (just making up the name) for $149 or so.

Therefore, I see the iPod product line as such.

149 - 1 GB iPod Flash
    199/249 - 4/6 GB iPod Mini (new colors?)
    299/399 - iPod 20/40
    349 - iPod U2 Edition
    499/599 - iPod Photo

Any thoughts?

2. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

if apple's past pricing is an indication, mini will never go below $250. apple has typically raised the capacity but kept the price.

iPod Photo will remain the same.
    iPod will go 30 GB/40 GB for $300/400
    mini will go for $250 but with 6 GB HD
    flash will go for $200 with 1 GB

3. StarbucksSam thread starter macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

If Apple does 30 for 300, I'm going to be VERY pissed as I just bought a 20.

4. OryHara macrumors regular

i doubt many will buy a 1GB ipod for $200,
    then again i didnt think anyone would buy the 4 GB ipod mini for $250 when all they had to do was lay down another $50 for an extra... 6GB, when it first came out

5. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

They would if it was a more compact player with included arm band and such for working out. Thats the only time I see these people using those little mp3 players like the Nike one for example.

But is this iPod flash rumor really fathomable. I must have missed the discussion with at least some tid-bits of Apple buying numerous flash drives for small players. I'm not saying they aren't but could someone direct me to something if they have anything.

6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

It costs ~20 bucks to add a color screen to an iPod. It won't happen. The hard drives are the most expensive parts of the iPods.

7. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

haha, your not alone in thinking it wouldnt seel at 249. ( I thought It would, I bought one right away, but I'm tryin to gloat.) Also, check out the 17 and 12'' inch PB rumors, NO ONE thought those were true. I cant find the thread right now, but its a good read.