iPod line-out -> iMac

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mmmdreg, Sep 9, 2003.

1. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

I got the iPod hooked up to the iMac. Now, how do I make the sound come out of the speakers?

2. jMc macrumors 6502

jMc

Um, don't you already have all your tunes in iTunes?

Anyway, you should be able to fiddle about with the settings in the Input tab in Sound preferences to get the line-in to play through your speakers, although I'm not sure how good the amplification will be...

jx

3. mmmdreg thread starter macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

The sound does go in fine as the input tab shows the thing moving.. I always have reasons for what I do so whether or not the songs are on this computer are a non-issue really.

4. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Re: iPod line-out -> iMac

what program are you using to play the songs?

5. mmmdreg thread starter macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

You obviously don't get me. The iPod dock's line-out or the headphone jack on the iPod itself is connected to the microphone port on the iMac with a standard cable. Therefore, I play the songs from the iPod itself and the sound goes into the computer. Now I need it to come back out of the speakers.

6. macboy macrumors regular

I don't think it works that way...

Just plug the iPod into the iMac using the FireWire Cable then launch iTunes and then play the songs... make sure mute is off and the volume it up.

7. mmmdreg thread starter macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

I am *completely* aware that I can connect to the iMac with FW already jeez. Okay. Forget the fact that I mentioned the iPod. ANY audio source going into the audio-in port on the iMac.. how do I hear it?!?

8. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

Do yo have one of the newer iMac's with a Line-In? Mine (iMac 800 17") doesn't have a Line-In jack, just a Mic. The Mic jacks are usually mono and the Line-Out jack of the dock, or any Line-Out for that matter, is stereo. You won't get a connection that way unless you use a stereo-to-mono cable.

However, my co-worker got a 1Ghz 17" iMac and he has a Line-In jack. Since both jacks are stereo, you can use a standard cable there.

Also, under System Preferences, then Sound, there is an Input tab. I don't have access to a Mac with an input jack so I'm running blind here. Can you select your jack there?

9. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

the Mac OS no longer supports line-in playthrough. If this is possible at all, it would be a third party app, like audio hijack or something in that area.

if you ask for help, especially when it's an odd situation, expect people to ask questions. it's kind of rude to just act like you have a personal support team here, personally i've always tried to be a bit nicer to folks willing to help me out.

pnw

10. mmmdreg thread starter macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

ohkay thanx for the answer. I don't know what happened here but I *think* I'm usually nicer :p. I guess it's my fault not being clear but when people say like
    then it sounds like they think they know what I'm asking more than I do myself if that makes sense..and ok.. so it's my fault that it takes four posts to be clear but still.. I wasn't being *that* unclear was I? Anyway, I apologise if y'all think I'm a bastard now. :D it's cool.

11. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

Nope, not at all... :) It's good that we can all keep each other in check while not getting mad at one another. What a great Mac community this is!

12. sahnert macrumors 6502

I think it's been a while since this thread ended, but I just figured out how to do this myself so I thought I'd share.

Download the awesome freeware application Spark ME (get it here <http://www.macmusic.org/softs/view.php/lang/EN/id/105/?vRmtQjpAznOhM=1>).

Once this is done go to Sound is System Prefs and click the Input tab. Make sure Line-In is selected. You can test the level by playing your iPod and watching the input meter and adjust accordingly.

Next open up Spark ME and go File> Preferences and click the I/O tab. Under "audio controller" click the Setup button. Make sure Line In is selected as the input source and then check the Playthrough box at the bottom. Voila.

You can also use Spark ME to record and edit audio.

Hope this helps.

13. mmmdreg thread starter macrumors 65816

mmmdreg